Chapter 9: "Friends"

Start from the beginning

"The Hamilton is the most renowned hotel in Barbados. In fact, it also has the highest ratings and profit." He said, while he typed away in his laptop simultaneously. "The Hamilton family has been in the hotel business for almost forty years but they have decided to retire. As they do not have any children to inherit their fortune, they plan on selling their business and donating their wealth to charity. Many bidders and entrepreneurs want to buy this hotel but they have turned down everyone. So far."

"Why?" I asked.

"We don't know. Perhaps they have not found a suitable bidder yet. It took them forty years to build this empire I am sure they won't sell it off that easily. Today, we will meet the Hamiltons for the first time. I have the presentation ready. Armelle can you go over the slides since you are going to be there with me?"

I nodded. Already getting out my laptop and checking my email to see the slides.

"May I ask you something si- Asher?"

"Hmm," he nodded, his attention focused on his laptop.

"Why is the Jones Enterprise interested in hotels all of a sudden? As far as I know Jones has been a shipping enterprise."

"Good question. Truth be told, the Jones enterprise is not interested in buying any hotels. This is my own investment."

"Your own investment?"

"The Jones Enterprise is my father's company not mine. I work for him. However, this deal is for my own self interest. If I buy this hotel it will be under my name not my father's."

I nodded, understanding.

Before I knew it, our car was being parked in front of a grand resort. I was taking in the beautiful view in front of me. There were trees charmingly planted in circles around a big marbled fountain. Behind it was the six-story hotel with a decorated archway, giving off a royal ambience. It was undeniably beautiful, and the view of the sea from behind complemented the scenery well.

"Whoa," I rasped, still awed by view.

We were welcomed into the hotel. Asher talked about our reservation at the desk while I observed the artwork in the lobby.

I wasn't actually that knowledgeable about art technique but that didn't stop me from appreciating exquisite paintings. I was observing each of the masterpieces, lost in my own little world.

"Armelle," Asher called me. I turned around to see Asher holding out a card that he handed to me. "This is your keycard. I got presidential suites for both of us."

"The presidential suite? That must have been expensive. You could have just gotten me a normal room." I protested.

"I already booked it and my employees should get the same comfort as me when they are with me." he answered.

How very generous of him. I accepted the keycard from him and Asher got back to the desk to fill out the formalities while I went back to observing my paintings.

A baby was crying a few paces away. I spun around to see a petite woman carrying a child in her arms. She was desperately trying to shush her down but the infant wasn't stopping.

I slowly walked up to her. The mother smiled and got back to feeding her baby who had finally calmed down.

"What's her name?" I asked.

"Isabella," she answered warmly.

"It's a lovely name." I said, meaning it.

"Thank you. My husband and I fought over the name for months on end; we wanted it to be special."

"Well, she is a beautiful baby." The infant seemed to coo back in gratitude. "Are you staying at this hotel?"

"Not really. My husband is trying his best to get a room here but it is summer and every hotel around here is booked. We made a huge mistake of cancelling our reservations at this other hotel at the last minute because it didn't have a baby cot and now we obviously regret it. Today was supposed to be our wedding night, but it looks like we're not going to get any place to stay," she sighed.

I glanced at the baby, who was now sleeping soundly in her mother's arms. "You brought your baby on the honeymoon?"

"Yes. I thought of leaving Isabella to my mom but I couldn't live without her for two weeks. So my husband and I ended up bringing her with us. I know it wasn't the wisest of decision..." she laughed airily.

"Isabella is lucky to have parents like you guys."

"Jen, we need to go. I couldn't get us a room here." her husband said, scowling.

"I guess we need to try another place. Bye- I didn't get your name!"

"You can call me Mel." I smiled.

"Jen. Short for Jennifer. So Mel, I'll see you around then."

"Yes, well," I paused, thinking for a minute, "You know... I have the presidential suite and I don't need a big room; I'll be staying alone. You can have mine."

"Oh no, we couldn't. Where will you be staying then?"

"I will just take a single room. I'm sure my boss can manage something." I said, crossing my fingers.

They stared at the keycard I was offering them. I was hoping the couple would take it. They needed the suite more than I did. Besides, it was totally pointless to take a large suite if I will be staying alone.

I handed the keycard in Jen's hand. "Please, take it."

She looked at her husband for approval and he slowly nodded.

"I guess it will be pointless for us to look for another hotel now," he said. "Thank you for doing us such a huge favor." I was finally relieved when Jen took the keycard from me.

We went up to the desk to inform them about the change. Asher was on the phone so I decided to tell him about it later. Inertly, I was scared to confront him about this. I was hoped he would be mad at me for doing this, but I was glad Mark, Jen, and Isabella were happy.

When he was finally done talking over the phone, I carefully went up to him to let him know about the issue.

"Asher, I decided I don't want the presidential suite."

"Armelle, I told you I like-"

I cut in. "I gave it away to someone else."

"You what?!" He does not sound too pleased.

"I gave it away to a family who needed it more than me. I am completely fine with a single."

"It's not about that, Armelle. While your act was charitable, this whole hotel is booked. Including all the other out there." he said, chiding me.

"I am sorry," I apologized timidly.

He grunted. "Hmm."

I followed him to to the front desk. My phone tinged; Jen and Mark were already on their way to their suite. Previously, Jen and I exchanged numbers and we promised each other we would meet up here during our stay.

Asher hurriedly spoke to the receptionist. "Can you see if anyone is checking out of their room today?"

"No I am sorry, sir. All the rooms are full or either booked. Those who will be checking out, their rooms have been pre-booked."

He sighed frustrated. "Is there anything we can do?"

The clerk squinted at the screen and beamed. "Wait! The penthouse is thankfully still available."

....

Edited by unlady