Chapter 1: Yo-kai Are Real!?

Start from the beginning

Nate stopped on the sidewalk and thought about it.

“Actually, that could work and we can release the bugs after we're done with them.”

Katie smiled and said,

“Yeah! That's what I was thinking!”

Nate smiled back and extended his hand.

“Well, partner. Ready to tackle our projects so we can have a nice summer?”

Katie took his hand and shook it.

“Consider it a deal, partner.”

When they got to Katie's house, they agreed to meet back at the park after they got the things they needed.

“See you in a bit, Katie.”

“You too, Nate.”

Nate walked back to his house and went up to his room, collecting his bug net and some money.

You never know what could happen, even in a peaceful town like Springdale.

As Nate walked downstairs, he overheard his mom talking to someone on the phone, so he stood in the doorway, waiting patiently for her to finish so he could tell her he was heading out. His mother turned her head a bit, muttered something to the person on the other end, and placed a hand over her phone.

“Going back out, Nate?”

“Yeah, I'll be back before dinner.”

“About that, Nate. We're having Katie and her family over for dinner tonight. We haven't decided what we're going to cook yet, so it might be a while before dinner is ready. Just come back home around 5, okay?”

Nate nodded and went out the door, jogging over to the park where he saw Katie waiting. She was sitting on a bench while carrying a few index cards, a pencil, and a bug container.
Nate gave her a strange look and she looked up and retorted,

“What? I told you my sketchbook was filled up.”

Nate tried to think of something that wouldn't sound rude, but decided to drop it before it became a problem.

“You ready to tackle this?”

Katie gave him a grin and said,

“Thought you'd never ask, Nate!”

She placed the objects she brought with her down on the bench as she stood up and helped Nate look for some insects.

“Here's some over here!”

In the one of the trees she was pointing at, there were a few green cicadas. Nate readied his net and pounced, catching one. The other cicadas flew away, leaving Nate a bit miffed and making Katie laugh as she put the cicada in the container. They investigated the other trees, catching another green cicada, and on the last one, the green cicada was way too high for Nate to reach with his net.

“Katie? You mind helping me here?”

Nate gave Katie his net, knelt down, and interlocked his fingers, waiting for Katie to let him boost her up. Katie stepped on Nate’s interlocked fingers and with the extra boost, she caught the final cicada and placed it in the container along with the others.

“Well, there were penalty of bugs here, but nothing too exciting like Eddie’s collection.”

Then, the container started glowing.

“What the-?! One of the cicadas is glowing!”

Katie, who had been sketching out one of the cicadas, looked up and also saw the glowing cicada.