The Fall

"Why did you come?" Molly asked, color flooding her face. "I solved the case. I could've handled it!"

Sherlock looked down at a shivering Molly. She was soaked to the bone, her lips quivering as the wind blew her hair. "Exactly why you needed saving."

"What?" Molly said, doing her best not to fall into his arms from the shock she felt. "What are you talking about?"

"Those men, Molly. The case," Sherlock replied. He took off his trench coat and draped it around her shoulders. He couldn't stand watching her freeze. 

"I'm not following," Molly said, grateful for the warmth that the coat gave her. 

"They knew you'd solve it," Sherlock said, avoiding her glaring eyes. "Well, actually. They knew I'd solve it. There plan was to trap me with their false clues. Except when they found out about you. That's when they switched gears and hunted you."

"Me? What's this got to do with me?"Molly said. She was still shaking violently. "You said it yourself, Sherlock. I'm an extra."

Sherlock paced back and forth in front of Molly, his face concentrated and focussed. "You're not seeing! Can't you think? Of all the people in the world, you're the only one who is oblivious of my feelings towards you."

"What are you saying?" Molly asked, tightening her hold on Sherlock's coat. "That I'm important to you somehow?"

"Yes."

For a moment, she stood in the silence as Sherlock paced the street. It was a simple response, but it spoke volumes to Molly who stood there in exasperation. Did he really care? She wondered. 

"Why did you come and save me?" Molly asked. "You once said that victims don't matter to you. Does that make me different?"

Sherlock stopped in his tracks and lifted his head up to look at Molly. His composure changed; his face grew soft. "You are the one person who has always stood by my side. You've helped me in more ways than I could ever repay you."

"The game is on," Molly whispered, a tear slipping down her cheek. "I'm all a part of your plan to destroy Moriarty's network. I get it."

Slowly, Sherlock walked towards Molly. He placed his hands on either side of her waist. "No," was all he said. "No, Molly. You are important to me because... I love you."