Chapter 16

CHAPTER 16

"Ready?" he asked.

"Ready," I answered with a smile.

Taylor and I had just signed the discharge papers from the hospital. This meant that I could finally be taken home! My day's outlook was looking good.

Tay gave me a quick kiss before wheeling me through the corridors, down the lifts and into the parking lot. The sun was hidden behind a small spanse of clouds, but it was still managing to shine through. I hadn't felt the sun on my skin for over a week and all I wanted to do was feel it's warmth penetrate through. Native Australian birds were singing in the afternoon breeze, and many people were around.

We were only a short way out of the hospital when Tay came to a stop. "It's probably easier if I leave you here and get the car. It's been pretty tight parking."

I nodded and he gave me one last kiss before jogging to the car, wherever he'd parked it.

I sat in the sun and watched as other people headed in and out of the hospital doors, whether injured or just visiting. I even noticed a couple carrying their newborn baby out of the hospital. The mother's face was showing complete awe as she marvelled over her miracle and the father was looking chuffed with himself as he had the two most perfect people in the world with him. This couple reminded me of when Taylor was getting used to being a father. Wherever the three of us went, he'd always tell anyone - whether we knew them or not - that Tahlia was his beautiful daughter and that I was going to marry him one day. Sometimes, I still catch him bragging about us.

I smiled when I thought about my up and coming wedding. I simply couldn't wait. I wanted to finally be with Taylor and make sure nothing could ever tear us apart. I wanted to love him my whole life. I wanted to grow old with him and watch our grandchildren grow up. Hell, maybe even some great-grandchildren.

"Nas, sweetheart," Taylor's voice sounded, waking me from my reverie, "Are you alright?"

I smiled. "I've never been better," I answered truthfully.

With that, Taylor wheeled me to the car which had the passenger-side door open and ready for me. I lifted myself into the seat and buckled the seatbelt as Tay folded up the wheelchair and placed it in the backseat behind me. I watched as he walked around the front of the car and into the driver's seat. He closed the door and then leaned over to me where he connected our lips.

"I love you," he said as he straightened in his seat, buckled his seatbelt and started the car.

"I love you too," I replied as I reached out for his hand. He eagerly took it and held it tightly as we maneouvered through the streets of Geelong until we reached the Midland Highway.

We kept light conversation the whole way. We spoke of the wedding, how Tahlia had been coping through the week, and other small things that were happening in the world. Nothing too dramatic had happened, which was a good thing.

As we passed the site in which I'd stupidly crashed the car, there was little evidence that I had. There was no glass, no torn grass or anything - it was as it had always been.

"Do you remember anything from the crash?" Tay asked quietly.

I thought about it, but I came up with nothing. "No, I just remember Sam screaming for me to look out, and then it all went blank. I can't remember a thing, really."

Tay gave a sympathetic look and kissed the back of my hand as he continued to drive. I continued to watch him do so for the rest of the trip, which wasn't very long now.

When we finally pulled into the driveway, Taylor parked at the stairs of the house. He'd obviously known that there was no way for me to get up the stairs in my wheelchair, and so I figured he was going to carry me or something.

I watched as he exited the car before coming to my side. I'd unbuckled my seatbelt and was ready for his strong arms to lift me, which they did so.

My breath was knocked out of me as Taylor lifted me into his arms in the traditional bridal way and carried me up the stairs - somewhat awkwardly - after closing the car door with his foot. I looked into his brown eyes as he concentrated on maneouvering up the stairs. The front door was opened by Becky just as I was about to knock for Taylor. We were shuffled through the kitchen and I was then sat onto a kitchen chair.

"Nassy's home!" Becky exclaimed before running into the lounge room.

"I'll grab your chair," Tay said before kissing me lightly and heading back outside.

I wasn't alone for long. Becky was walking back into the kitchen, following Tahlia who was running excitedly. Dad was not far behind them.

"Mummy!" Tahlia called as I lifted her up for a cuddle.

Holding her made me realise that everything was worth it if I could just hold my daughter tightly. I never wanted to let her go. Never.

"We all missed you so much, Nassy. Tahlia especially," Becky said as she was pulled into an embrace of Dad's.

Her words made me smile. I was loved.

A sudden thought came to Tahlia. "Mummy, I have something to show you," she said as she squirmed off my lap.

We all watched as she ran back into the lounge room and came back with various pieces of paper in her arms. Tay had walked back into the kitchen and was standing behind me, watching Tahlia also.

I ended up being showed many crafty items that Tahlia had created throughout the week with Becky, Dad, Dallas and even Taylor. They were mostly scribbled in crayon, but someone - most likely Becky - had let Tahlia into the gold glitter and one piece of paper had nothing but sparkling glitter on it. Tahlia was especially proud of that one.

That night, after I'd taken my painkiller pills, I was feeling especially drowsy. Tay could evidently see that. Now came the difficult task of getting me up the stairs and into bed. But, this didn't seem to affect Tay at all. He lifted me again - and maybe it was easier because my body was weaker with exhaustion - and before I knew it, I was being helped into my pyjamas and tucked into bed. He'd done the same thing to Tahlia almost an hour ago or so.

Tay quickly changed into his boxer shorts and came to lay beside me in bed, his warm arms coiling around my cold body. He turned me around so that I was facing him. It was a little difficult with my floppy legs, but we managed.

He began a soft, warm kiss that I could feel his smile. It made me smile into the kiss also. I soon fell into a deep sleep with my lips still touching Tay's warm ones.