Chapter 5 - Pasts Unforgotten

When Edwin Del Darrigo walked out of the casino with a case full of money, Ralph became the lone player in King Braddock's campaign of revenge with full authority on the handling of the assignment. All that was required ,was that he deliver regular reports. Braddock tapped his pen harshly on the edge of his desk as he listened to the first of those reports. He needed to put this mess to bed quickly; his reputation was under curious scrutiny by the other casino owners.

"I want him found; and the money."

"I'm in Salt Lake and I've been to the bus station. It won't be in for a few hours, so I'm going to eat and then when it arrives see if he's on it. If he is, case closed. If not, I'll backtrack down the route. Don't worry, he can't hide from me."

"Keep me posted... and Ralph, he needs a lesson."

"So you said."

Ralph Kew closed his phone and went back into the dining room where he had ordered his dinner. A trio played a soft jazz background in the corner and aside from the clink of glasses at the blue lit bar, only the muted murmurs of the room's patrons could be heard. Ralph ordered a drink while he waited for his meal and slouched in his booth seat, listening to the music. The song they were playing was an unhurried version of Norwegian Wood.

He remembered the song from another time as a punk kid, sitting in the back of a patrol car, Officer Bassett watching him in the mirror as the car steered through traffic. The music station playing on the radio was honouring the work of The Beatles and playing music on the police radio was a rule breaker that Ralph found ironic. Basset had asked if Ralph liked them.

"Better than you." Ralph answered with all his fourteen years of accumulated attitude.

"Yeah, well they don't have to chase thieving' little buggers like you." Basset responded.

"Screw you."

Bassett shook his head and made the turn at the corner where the police station stood. He pulled the car down the block and stopped by the curb, shutting off the engine and turning in his seat.

"Look kid, acting tough isn't going to get you any points with anyone, okay? You stole the money and whatever else was in the register and you got caught. Don't blame the world for your behaviour; you make your own choices. This was a bad one."

Ralph sneered back at the officer and looked away.

"Fine, have it your way." Bassett got out of the car and came around to the rear door on the pavement side, opened it and reached in for Ralph.

The piece of coat hanger came out of nowhere and pierced Bassett's chest just below his heart. His eyes flew open and mouth formed a surprised circle as he fell forward into the car. Ralph hauled the man right inside and pushed his face down onto the seat cushion. The struggle was brief; Bassett gasped once or twice and then fell still.

Ralph jumped out of the car, reached back and grabbed the officer's gun before slamming the door and galloping down the block as fast as his young legs would carry him. By the time Ralph reached his twenties his reputation as a made man was legend.

Ralph joined the sporadic applause from the other diners as the set ended, Norwegian Wood fading from his mind. He summoned the waiter for a refill of his drink as his dinner arrived to the table on a cart containing a small grill and a huge salad bowl. One waiter with a bored expression fired up the small grill and uncovered his strip loin steak, pouring some wine into the pan and raising a sudden flame.

Another young man wiped the inside of the bowl with anchovy and dressing condiments, whisking the mixture around for the entire time the steak was cooking. Both finished together and the meal was served with a flourish, his water glass filled and his drink refill magically appeared at the same time. All three waiters bowed and wheeled the cart away leaving Ralph to enjoy their efforts.

The music resumed with a very slow version of Moon Glow.

******

The dinner period ended and the passengers made their way back to the bus where the driver sat smoking and sucking on a suspicious looking thermos bottle.

"One more pit stop and then Salt Lake City, folks." He announced, pulling the bar to close the door and hitting his turn signal as he moved the big old bus out onto the highway once more.

Kate turned out the courtesy light over her seat and tried getting comfortable enough to sleep. She could hear murmurs from some of the others and the unmistakable clicking of the computer across the aisle.

She closed her eyes and organized her thoughts into what she wanted to dream about. The road became very smooth and the hum of the bus tires entered her head in a soothing drone that helped her sink down into a drowsy state, blinking her planned dream on and off like a faulty neon bulb.

Richard entered her office with a smile that lit up the room and seemed to immediately put her in a good mood. He introduced himself formally, presented his card and asked if he could dazzle her with his advertising skills. Kate's position with the book chain as the promotional director for their mystery authors was to coordinate their material and manage the author book signing events. She sat back, matching his smile and gestured for his performance to begin.

The visit ended with dinner at a local restaurant, a drink at a late night bar and a signed contract for an advertising program. The first instalment was for a signing by an author of a political expose whose book had broken several first run records; the campaign was brilliant and Kate received kudos from her superiors, which she shared with Richard over another dinner that ran to a lazy breakfast with all the applicable business in between.

The relationship grew as did the successful business between their respective companies and on a particularly boisterous celebration of sales by Kate's book chain, Richard threw the covers off and from beneath his pillow drew out a plush red ring box. On naked bended knee beside the bed he proposed, and they consummated her acceptance by continuing the celebration.

The hiss of air brakes and the jarring bump of the tires as they dropped over the curb startled Kate awake. As the bus rolled up to the front of the promised pit stop, she couldn't believe she'd slept the entire time. The dream, while starting in a sporadic fashion, had become the clearest she could ever remember with extraordinary continuity ,and it left her feeling uncomfortable.

She peered out the window and read the sign in front of the building, Levin Country Comfort, a stand-alone gothic structure at the junction of another highway, boasting feather beds and home cooking. The bus rocked to a halt near the entrance, and as the door whooshed open, the interior lights came on with a harsh glare.

There were a few tired groans and then the shuffling of feet and squeaking seat backs as the passengers climbed down onto a crushed stone drive, adjusting clothes and stretching. The naked sky was awash in pinpoints of light and a partial moon dangled in a corner, shy and unassuming.