Chapter Twenty-Two

"There can't be a war." Steve states while crossing his arms and Jessica immediately rolls her eyes. 

"Think about it Spangles, they're shipping over different kinds of ingredients to create new Inhumans to fight the battles that they know they can't win. Maybe they got word of a new threat coming." She elaborates. 

"She's got a point." Tony sings.

"I'll contact Thor." Clint sighs while rubbing a hand over his eyes. "See if he knows of anything that may be going on that would be threatening for us."

"Good idea, Alex, Damien. Head with him and find out anything else you can, everyone else do the same." Steve orders. Slowly, the room begins to thin as different people go off in different directions to try and figure out what was actually happening. Jessica slowly walks back to the lab table where Tony, Katie, and Bruce stood. 

"So, what now?" Katie demands while twisting a lock of hair on her pointer finger. "I mean, we've got nothing to research or figure out that would involve us...so..."

"So, we all go to our respectful corners and experiment," Tony smirks before both he and Bruce separate to different tables. 

"You can't be serious!" Jessica cries as she follows Tony to his table. "We just discovered that the Government could be screwing us all over and you're telling me that you're just going to 'experiment' to build another suit?!"

"I didn't say what I was going to do." Tony sighs.

"And I don't give a flying fuck!" Jessica shouts while throwing her hands in the air. "Everyone else is trying to figure something out, we have to do the same!"

"What do you propose that we do?" Tony demands. "Because I seem to be fresh out of ideas."

"Well, that's a first!" Jess scoffs. "Shall I give you a trophy?"

"Okay, guys!" Katie shouts while slamming her hands onto the table. "We're all riled up, there is no reason to take it out on one another. You two were just getting along so well."

"It's not my fault he's-"

"Shut it!" Katie orders. 

"Exactly, it's her fau-"

"Tony, that means you too." Bruce quickly jumps in. "Both of you are being unbelievable." 

"It's not my fault." Tony states. "Maybe if these kids didn't exist we wouldn't have this damn problem!"

The room falls into silence, everyone wearing either expressions of shock or hurt. Jessica scoffs and shakes her head, her hands shaking. Slowly she licks her lips and turns to look at Tony with tears in her eyes, who instantly looks guilty.

"You know, I thought I had actually found a family." She whispers. "But you're just like mom." 

Computer Room 
Few Floor Up

"Thor, come on. You can't think of anything?!" Clint whines at the camera. 

"I apologize Brother Barton," Thor replies with a sigh. "There is nothing that I could think of that has any danger to Midgard."

"Earth right?" Alex whispers while leaning close to Damien, who nods in response.

"Thor. I can't go back with nothing, you know this." Clint states.

"I apologize." Thor nods.

"You're really telling me that there's nothing!" 

"OH MY GOD DAD THERE'S NOTHING!" 

AVENGERS MAIN LIVING AREA

"So, there's nothing?" Natasha questions while turning to Ian, who had just ran back in from the floor below their own.

"Nope, Barton keeps bothering them for it, though. So, the only threat we're going to have is Thor coming and kicking Clint's ass for bothering him so much." Ian replies, earning an eye roll from half the team.

"Who's going to get him?" Steve questions while wiping his hands on a towel before joining the team on the couches. "And where are Tony, B-"

"We're here we're here! Hold your applause." Tony announces as the elevator doors open, Bruce following him as he exits. Bruce shakes his head at the billionaire with an angry expression covering his face.

"Tony, what did you do?" Steve demands while crossing his arms.

"Why do you always assume I've done something?" Tony replies and Steve raises his eyebrows while gesturing to Bruce.

"He said something completely unreasonable and pissed off the only person who can control Chris." Bruce quickly jumps in before Tony could open his mouth.

"Tony!" Natasha shouts.

"It's not my fault!" He yells. "This is just a lot of pressure and I snapped."

"Did you apologize?" Seth inquires.

"No." Tony bites his lip. "They left before I could say anything, but she said shitty stuff to me too!"

"You're unbelievable." Wanda groans. 

"They're in the training room." Jen announces as she runs back into the room, almost completely out of breath. "I wouldn't go down there, Jess is really upset."

"Are they okay?" Clint demands from the kitchen counter where he had shown up out of nowhere.

"Fine, but Tony's gonna need a new training room." Jen shrugs. "I'm going to head back down there and make sure Jess doesn't...you know, explode."

"You're talking figuratively, right?" Damien demands while tilting his head to the side. Jen slowly turns around to look at him with an expression that totally revealed that whatever came next was a complete lie.

"Yeah." She replies, her voice an octave higher. "Why would she freaking explode in real life?" She humorlessly chuckles. A small boom is heard and Jen's eyes widen. "That was the...toaster....I...I'm gonna go."

With that, she takes off full speed and rushes towards the stairs. Her brown hair flutter out behind her. The team watches the door slam behind her before they all look at one another again. 

"Well, that was interesting." Scott claps his hands.

"Tony, you need to apologize." Bruce quickly states.

"Fine, I will-"

"Avengers!" A voice cuts Tony off. Immediately, the team turns to the window where Nick Fury himself stood with many people dressed in suits behind him. Fury wore a grim expression and his eye looked at each team member in worry. "These are representatives from the United States Government, I trust you can have this room ready for a meeting?"

"Shit." Alex whispers under his breath. They were definitely screwed now.