The Science Of Human Emotion

Still don't own Fairy Tail

This is a Gajevy fanfiction loosely inspired by the song "The Scientist" by Coldplay. The song is one of my favorites and I highly recommend it.

Gajeel just wasn't good at understanding people. Maybe it was the product of him growing up with a dragon as a father, or maybe it's because he joined a guild where everyone was everyone's enemy. To be completely honest he didn't really care why he was bad at understanding people, he just wanted to know how to fix it.
There was a reason of course.
She was the reason.
Thinking about her intelligent eyes and the gentle smile that fit so well on her soft lips made him want to understand.
But how do you understand?
Gajeel couldn't even begin to comprehend how to do it and it didn't help that he felt his gut plunge with guilt every time she sent her gentle smile his way. God, the more she forgave him the more he hated himself.
He didn't deserve forgiveness.
She seemed to disagree.
Gajeel didn't, couldn't understand her. She was a mystery, a phenomenon, and it frustrated him to no end.
No one ever said that understanding was this hard.
At times Gajeel was tempted to pick up one of the romance novels she would read on occasion and dissect the protagonists' actions.
Everything worked out in the novels, so it had to be possible if he could just understand.
Every time he opened his mouth he was terrified that he was going to say something wrong, and that they'll end up going back to the start.
The start was terrible.
The start was cruelty and pain. It was suspicion and fear.
Gajeel was terrified of shattering the trust that had begun to form between the two of them.
What's worse was that he couldn't understand how she reacted to his words, his actions, even his presence.
It was just so damn frustrating.
Gajeel growled in annoyance and kicked an innocent rock that lie in the middle of the sidewalk.
He hated this.
It was a chilly autumn night. The breeze picked up and shivers crawled down his spine. With a sigh he zipped his jacket shut to take complete advantage of his body heat. Gajeel could see his breath fogging in front of his face due to the frigid air. In his opinion it was way too cold for this time of the year.
"Oi! Metal For Brains!"
"Huh?" Gajeel turned around to see who was calling him. He scowled when he saw who it was.
"Get lost, Salamander," he snapped.
"YOU WANNA FIGHT!?" Natsu Dragneel roared as he charged down the sidewalk.
"I WANT YOU TO GET OUT OF HERE!" Gajeel shouted, slamming his forehead against Natsu's.
"Will you two ever get along?" Gajeel froze when he recognized the feminine voice. He looked past the stupid pink haired freak to see Lucy and Levy standing there, shopping bags hanging from their hands.
"Geez," said Lucy facepalming in exasperation, "who knew we would've run into you here."
"Hey was that an insult-"
"Gajeel, why are you out so late?" said Levy cutting him off. Gajeel looked at her and sucked in a breath. He would never be able to get over how perfect she was.
"I was going for a walk," Gajeel admitted gruffly as he shoved his hands in his pockets.
"Ha! You go for walks! That's so girly!" Natsu laughed.
"Shut it, Salamander."
Lucy then proceeded to grab Natsu by the ear and drag him back down the sidewalk the way they came.
"Ow! Lucy! Why're ya draggin' me!?"
"I decided I wanted to shop some more!"
"But it's ten o'clock at night!"
"Why the hell does that matter!?"
"Because shopping this late is stupid!"
"You're stupid!"
"Hey! I'm not the crazy one wanting to spend more of someone else's money at ten o'clock at night!"
Their voices faded in the distance. Gajeel and Levy stood watching them with amusement and mild concern.
"Hey, Gajeel?" Levy asked turning her gaze to him. Gajeel blushed a little and glanced away.
"What is it, Shrimp?"
"Why did you join Fairy Tail?"
Gajeel paused for a moment a little surprised. That wasn't what he was expecting. He turned and started walking and Levy followed him persistently, looking at him with expectant eyes.
"The old geezer offered for me to join, and I had nowhere else to go," said Gajeel shrugging, "I wasn't really thinking about why I should join at the time, I was thinking about why I shouldn't."
Levy looked a little confused.
"Why would you think about that?"
Gajeel laughed a little.
"I've done some pretty shitty things to our guild, Shrimpy."
She hummed in thought.
"Yeah that's true, but if Gramps asked you to join then those things obviously didn't matter right?"
Gajeel shrugged.
"It was more about my conscience than whether or not it mattered if I could join. I...."
"You what?" Levy prompted him to go on.
"I still haven't forgiven myself," Gajeel confessed, his voice barely more than a whisper.
Levy stopped walking and whirled around to face him.
"You!" She said jabbing her finger into his chest with a surprising amount of force, "Need to stop thinking about the past!"
Gajeel blinked in surprise, then smiled a little.
"You really are a phenomenon," he remarked fondly.
Levy's eyebrow shot up.
"What's that supposed to mean?" She asked putting her hands on her hips.
"I don't know," her told her scratching the back of his head. Levy smiled and shook her head. They resumed walking in a companionable silence, the two of them lost in thoughts.
While thinking Gajeel realized that he currently did not need to understand her. A scientist is someone who tries to understand the world around them. Gajeel fell a little behind her and he watched her slender hips sway with every step. At that moment he decided he would become a scientist to at least try to understand this thing named human emotion. It's the least he could do for her.
Because happy endings don't always come right away.

I'm so sorry this is so short omg. I was actually planning on making it longer but I just decided to cut it off there because it seemed like a nice ending. Here's some quick info for those who care:
1. My next multi-chapter story will not be Fairy Tail. I've honestly lost a lot of love for this anime. I don't know why it's just starting to die to me.
2. I will probably be updating on this collection very rarely. As most of you can tell I'm awful at updating regularly, and I get really lazy and procrastinate.
That's about it for now. See you next time!