Part 5

She couldn't believe it was a year since she had met Eret as a freshman, a year of whirlwind romance and laughter and plans for the future. A year since she had spoken to Hiccup who had refused to answer her texts and emails and even open the door to her. A year where she had accepted Eret's proposal and now walked round in a light daze with a beautiful turquoise ring on the ring finger of her left hand. A year where the guilt had never really gone away. 

She shook herself, checking the dress in the wardrobe mirror and smoothing down the satin. The form-fitting azure silk and satin off the shoulder gown had been a bargain from the Vintage dress store in town and Astrid had been astonished when it had fitted her perfectly. It was almost as if it had been meant to be and had perfectly matched her eyes-and her engagement ring, of course. Carefully, she had accessorised it with a silver bag and shoes and dressed with care for the Halloween Ball at Archipelago U. Another pang struck her: it had been a year exactly since she had broken Hiccup's heart and she cursed herself every day for not speaking to him before he arrived and letting him down gently. She shook herself: it was water under the bridge now and all she could do was move forward with her life. 

Fishlegs had told her that Hiccup had tried dating himself, even having a relationship with a pretty blonde called Cami who had borne a strong resemblance to Astrid-a little shorter and fuller in the bust but just as feisty and independent. She had dumped him unceremoniously since she had found out he was still pining for Astrid. After that, he had given up socially, burying himself in his savage workload on his Dragonology and Engineering courses and achieving a perfect GPA on both. But Fishlegs was worried because Hiccup had lost his spark, lost the hopeful smile and the dry humour: the boy he had become was dry, bitter and sarcastic. 

She finished pinning up her hair. She couldn't be responsible for other people's lives: Hiccup had been her friend and she had tried to maintain that friendship. It had been Hiccup who had withdrawn from her, Hiccup who was acting like a sulky child. It wasn't like they were boyfriend and girlfriend...

But you promised to go to the dance with him

...before she met Eret at the Freshman events, before the athletic and handsome young man from the north had captured her eye and her heart. She shook herself. If he had any sense, Hiccup would accept that and the friendship that was on offer. Now...he had neither Astrid as a friend or girlfriend. It wasn't her fault.

She checked her lipstick once more and then heard the knock on the door. snapping her purse closed, she walked to the door, grabbing her shawl and grinning as she met Eret's caramel eyes as he leaned lazily on the doorframe. He pressed an eager kiss on her mouth and wrapped his arms around her but she pushed him away.

"Babe-I've just fixed my lipstick!" she protested. He grabbed her harder.

"You can always fix it again," he told her, grinning. She giggled, finally pushing him away and repairing her lipstick and hair, then heading our, her arm linked with his. The Ball was in the Great Hall, the venue for degree convocations and external events and it took them only ten minutes to walk across campus to the massive and impressive stone building. The breeze was cool and she pulled her beige shawl higher over her shoulders as they walked through the drifted fallen leaves. The sounds of music were already floating up and lights were spilling from the tall cathedral-like windows and open door. 

She checked in her shawl and Eret grabbed them drinks before they entered the wide space, the music already playing loudly and bat, ghoul and pumpkin decorations everywhere. She glanced across the room, seeing a few faces she recognised-the twins (well, they never missed a party EVER), Snotlout and his girl of the week, Dogsbreath and Gustav and-unusually-Fishlegs who was standing by a tall lean shape in a black tuxedo, the auburn hair messy and green eyes serious. She started and turned away, smiling to Eret and slipping her arm through his again.

"You okay, Asty?" he asked her, all concern and she sighed.

"Yeah...just a little tired," she muttered, taking a sip from her drink. He sighed.

"Yeah, you've been working real hard recently," he said gently. "I'll go fetch some canapés for us-how's that sound?" She gave a watery smile.

"Perfect, babe," she managed and found a quiet corner to stand in, leaning against the table. The shoes she was wearing were beautiful but not very comfortable and she was wondering if there were any seats when she heard a familiar voice.

"No, the wingspan: weight ratio for the Night Fury is far greater than any other dragon and that explains their unmatched speed and manoeuvrability..."

"I think the Gronckle's small wingspan and hovering ability means they are at least equal in manoeuvrability..." Fishlegs argued.

"But not in speed!" Hiccup pointed out, half-turning and nudging against Astrid. His head snapped round to offer an apology. "Oh, I'm terribly sorry, I..." And then he gaped. His green eyes widened and he was suddenly breathing hard.

"Hello, Hiccup," Astrid said gently. "How are you?"

"As-Ast-Astrid..." he stammered, his face sudden ashen. he backed up a step. "I-I..." She grabbed his hand, her grip firm as he tried to get away from her.

"How have you been?" she repeated, her eyes seeking his face. He managed to pull his facade back up and all the expression feel from his familiar features.

"I-I've been fine," he said tonelessly. "And-and I hear you and...Eret are engaged. Um...congratulations..." He swallowed. "Gotta go." he pulled his arm away and turned, retreating to the far side of the room with Fishlegs scuttling after him with an apologetic smile. She stared and felt her stomach lurch in shock. He had basically brushed her off. 

"He's been like that since you broke his heart," Ruff said, coming up beside her. She looked into the face of the female twin. She was wearing a green gown that matched her twin brother's bow-tie. Of course, Tuff was hanging with Snotlout, Dogsbreath and Gustav not far from Hiccup, the guys chugging beers and making a racket. "Poor sap!" Astrid scowled at her.

"What do you mean?" she asked.

"He was in love with you," Ruff said easily. "Has been for years. Everyone knew that!"

"Except, apparently me," Astrid said sourly, emptying her drink and grabbing Ruff's. Of course, once you thought about it, everything Hiccup had said and done did make more sense...including his pained withdrawal when she had chosen a man she had just met over the boy who had loved her for ever.

Girl of my dreams...

"Wait-you really didn't know?" Ruff asked and then burst out laughing. "Gods! That must have been astonishing. He was like a stammering idiot around you-and you thought that was him all the time?" She shook her head. "Unbelievable. Even Tuff wasn't that dim!"

"Yeah, thanks, Ruff..." Astrid sighed. "I think you could make me feel worse..." The female twin grabbed her arms and hauled her away to one side. 

"Ast-You know I love you, right?" Ruff said urgently. Astrid stared into the frantic face, the grey-blue eyes filled with worry. 

"What is it?" she demanded.

"Do NOT look back at the punch bowl table," the female twin said urgently. 

"What? Why?" Astrid blue eyes narrowed and she tried to dodge past the other girl. 

"Please...don't..." Ruff asked her but she shoved Ruff aside and stormed forward...

...to see Eret, with his arms around a blonde shape, hands roaming indecently over the curvaceous shape in the deep blue gown, then rising up to thread through the blonde hair as he kissed her with passionate abandon.

"ERET!"