Calum

The sky was black above me, swallows looping and diving, the air thick with moisture.

I never knew time could be this fast; it was a train, rattling along the railway, going to every station and before you know it — you're at the place of destination. I'd never felt like going to a foster family, mostly because I didn't thought I need to be send to another home. The bond with my parents had already improved, so it was deceiving to know I still had to depart.

"You're ready, sweetheart?," my mom said, wrapping her arm around my shoulders and tried to drew me closer to her chest — which failed because of my large bag that was hanging between us.

I sighed and looked at the large building in front of us. "Yeah, let's do this quickly."

We approached the front door — what looked more like a castle gate, not really — and knocked on the door.

After a few seconds the door was opened by a petite women with slick, black hair and dark brown eyes. "Ah, you must be Calum!," she spoke happily, and stuck out her hand — which I shook. "And you must be his mother!" She turned her head towards her and hugged her. "My name's Gaia, come in, come in!"

The house amazed me; it was cosy. You could already smell the cinnamon coming from the kitchen, I assume it was apple pie. In the living room was a chiffon-coloured corner sofa pushed against the right wall, with above it a large sticker of a black tree with birds plastered on it. On the opposite of the couch was a large curve tv on top of a white cabinet. And a little fireplace was placed next to the tv.

A weird feeling formed in the pit of my stomach. I never knew a house could be this cosy.

"Sit down, sit down, please," said Gaia, gesturing to the couch. "I have freshly-baked apple pie! Are you two thirsty?"

"No, sorry but I have to go," my mom said. "I still have a lot of things to do and I have to organise all the papers and—I'm sorry."

"Er—that's okay, I get it," Gaia said, and walked to her, hugging her again. "I'll keep you informed."

Mom and I hugged, too, much longer than normal. It felt weird. "Take good care of yourself, Calum," mom whispered in my neck. "You too, mom, promise me?"

"I promise."

I really want to thank the people who take the effort to vote and react to my story, it means a lot to me <3

I hope you like this chapter!