Chpt 14

i gulp as we drive up the drive. it's not like i've never been to nathan's holiday home before, i have, just not in the way that we're going now. it's sort of off-putting considering that we'll be sharing a room together and not have the distance between us that we normally have. plus nathan doesn't seem to be that bothered, but i'm starting to see real weaknesses in this plan of ours. in all honesty i'm sort of sceptical of it. gemma seems anxious for the marriage, how are we going to keep putting that off? what if it takes her a while to get better, say a few years? there's no real reason to put it off for that long, we have no financial problems and there's already a cloud of doubt hanging around. it's all i can do not to freak out. nathan seems to sense something is wrong and throws me a worried look. i just shake my head in response, not really sure how to explain to him what i'm thinking. we've already started playing along with this idea so it'll be a bit sudden and random if we stop. the car stops and nathan runs out and dashes over in order to open my door for me. i roll my eyes and step out as he bows low and says in a grand voice "my lady." 

"you're so stupid." i say, shoving him softly as i walk over to the boot.

"sorry for trying to be romantic." he says in a fake hurt voice. 

"you should be." i reply, a grin appearing on my face. he chuckles himself and shuts the door. we get the bags out of the boot and take them into the house.

"So which room are we staying in?" i ask him quietly. 

"don't you worry about that. i have been clever-"

"for one rare moment in your life." i mutter under my breath, cutting him off. he frowns at this and huffs.

"as i was saying, i have been clever and brought a sleeping bag with me." 

"oh good." i reply, sighing. he nudges me as a frown. "what?" i ask him.

"you worry so much about everything." he replies and then takes some of our bags into the house. i gulp and look up at the house, worried. i have a bad feeling about this stay. i don't know what exactly, but something's eating away at me. i bite my lip as i take in the rest of the bags, my heart thundering away in my chest. 

"you know nathan you never actually answered my question." i point out. he frowns at me

"what're you on about?" he asks me. 

"which room are we staying in?" i ask again.

"mine obviously. use that brain of yours ivy." he mutters, rolling his eyes. i jutt my tongue out at him.

"i'm not the clever one, remember? i equal creativity." 

"really? because i thought you were pretty much lacking in that area too." he says, laughing at i drop the bags in the hall way and run after him. 

"you're an ass, you know?" i shout as i chase him outside. finally we both stop, gasping for breath in the middle of the lawn. the water fountain rushes on and i sit on the edge, my breath haggard. "why was i chasing you?" i ask, frowning. he merely shrugs and sits next to me.

"do you need a reason? clearly it's because i look so dashing." he says, flexing his muscles. i shake my head at this then get an evil idea. he frowns at the look on my face but it registers too late and i shove him into the fountain. he surfaces looking angry. i turn to run but he grabs hold of me and pulls me in with him. "you didn't really think i'd let you get away with that, did you?" he asks as i propel myself out of the water. i glare at him, miming him as he speaks.

"whatever nathan, just because i had the idea first." i taunt him. he just shakes his head and splashes me, and i return his gesture with an equally forceful splash. laughing we both start a splash fight. eventually we stop and clamber out, both dripping wet. i glance down at my clothes and groan, white of all colours? i see nathan laughing at me and i glare at him and he just smirks. "why did i wear white?" i moan to myself. he merely shrugs in response. 

"no-one's complaining." he adds cheekily, before heading off towards the house, rolling my eyes i follow suit, clinging to myself. if gemma sees me now... i'll die of embarrassment.