Flint's Tale pt. 6

Counting the amount of resistance fighters who were filling up the tunnels like heavy rain water, I could barely place a proper number of what they all totaled. Whatever the number was, it was above a hundred. Maybe it was two hundred strong based on how packed the tunnels were. However, I was never good with numbers and Tabitha didn't teach me arithmetic.

Still attempting to add up my tally, I stopped after seeing Todd march through the mighty throng. He took the lead and shepherded them through the darkness. I followed close behind him while dragging my talons on the jagged cobblestone floor. The tunnels echoed loudly with the sound of hundreds of pattering feet staggering about the cavern. It was dark and I could barely see pass my bill. Someone behind me accidently stepped on my tail causing me to angrily squawk at the culprit.

Quickly preparing a torch, Todd brought out a small fire starter and struck it. A spark leaped on to the stick wrapped with a fuel soaked rag causing a blaze which lit up our path. Lighting a few more torches for the others to carry, Todd continued our journey as we ventured forward. No one stepped on me after that.

My wings began to flinch as we neared the entrance of the castle. Above our heads was a wooden hatch which Todd lifting up slowly. He climbed up and moved his torch over bags of exotic foods by his feet. We were in the castle's food pantry were they stored a surplus of expensive produce, meats, and spices for the nobility's sophisticated palate. I remembered how Tabitha would steal a few treats for us every time we went down to the tunnels.

Walking about the pantry, the Dermid citizens licked their lips when they saw the tasty food right in reach of them. Digging their frail fingers among the supplies, the townsfolk's mouths watered at the delicious ingredients they held in their shaking palms. Some of them couldn't stop themselves from shoving hunks of olive bread along with slices of smoked mutton deep inside their throats. Without chewing once, they swallowed it whole. Next they tore off cubes of goat cheese flavored with garlic and herbs. It had a tangy fragrance that hovered around the storage room.

With his nostrils beginning to flare, Todd snapped his fingers once. This instantly cause the ravenous group to spit out their hurried meals. Growling in the back of his throat, the leader pointed an accusing finger and commanded the team to keep focus at the task at hand. The resistance shivered as they longingly ogled at the discarded food littering the floor.

Todd then beckoned for me and whispered in my ear, "Check for guards. We need to get in that Armory without bein' seen."

I shook my head gingerly as Todd opened the door for me. Peaking my head out, I only saw one guard on the far end of the hall. Her head was slightly bent to one side as I faintly heard a rumble of soft breathing gushing out of her open mouth. She was teetering on her spear as her head bobbed next to her left shoulder.

Seeing that the drowsy knight wasn't going to be a threat, I confidently turned my head to the opposite end of the hallway where the Armory was located. No one was around, and all we needed to do was to quietly walk a few yards ahead and enter the weapons room.

I silently gestured to the Armory for Todd who intern beckoned five others to follow us. Dashing along the marble walls, we halted at the entrance of the Armory and quietly went inside.

Weapons were all around us. On steel racks, various swords were securely sheathed in their leather cases encrusted with gemstones. Lining the walls, crossbows and spears hung upright with their handles conveniently placed downwards to be easily yanked off.

Gathering up all the weapons we could carry, we prepared to exit the armory. Todd immediately blocked the way with his shivering arm when the sound of voices echoed towards us. My feathers ruffled at the familiar noise of General Kathrine's firm yet genial voice as she spoke to the sleeping knight on the other end of the hallway.