seven

07

It has been a week since Harry last seen Lucy. It made him worry about her sudden absence. He thought it was because of the offer he had given to her last week. Maybe Harry had come across too demanding and that made Lucy too scared to say she chickened out. Although, that couldn’t be the case as Lucy seemed to be the fearless one and doesn’t care what others think of her. But Harry still thought that it was his fault. Lucy didn’t even text him!

Eighteen days. Eighteen days till the deadline. Harry needed to find Kat because no way he was going to say good bye to the brown hair he had grown for eighteen years. He didn’t want to be the laughing stock of the school next month once he showed up at school with an odd coloured hair. Then again, he had made no effort on finding the colourful haired girl. She could be anywhere and maybe she lived outside of the town which maked him think twice about the deal. He was so stupid to seal the deal and not to mention, he was so desperate. So desperate for a . . . friend? Harry liked to blame the alcohol he had consumed that night that led him to do something so silly.

So on that Monday, Harry walked into the school with his head down and hands shoved into his pockets with a snapback covering his limp, lifeless brown hair. He couldn’t sleep last night due to the thoughts that were circling in his mind. That day, he didn’t even bother to walk past Lucy’s locker because he knew he’ll get the same result as last week. No sign of the black haired girl. He walked towards his own locker to get his textbooks ready for another horrific day of school. Sometimes he wondered how could he get good marks on quizzes when usually, he doesn’t pay attention in class.

“Hello, mate!”

Harry sighed at the overly-cheery Liam’s greeting. He continued to pack his rucksack with books and stationeries, ignoring Liam’s stare on him.

“What happened to you?” Liam asked before he bit into his red apple.

“None of your business, Payne.” The Snapback boy replied dryly before shutting his locker door and walked away from the scene. He didn’t have the mood to share his thoughts but he knew he had to face Liam later during lunch time so he figured he just kept them to himself for the time being.

Harry entered the English classroom just as the first bell started to ring. He expected to see the substitute teacher in the classroom since Mrs. Winters was absent since last week but he was happy to see that the substitute wasn’t there. He didn’t fancy the substitute because of the large amount of assigments he gave the students to do.

“Mrs. Winters.” Harry said as he nodded his head as a sign of respect. “Where have you been?”

Mrs. Winters smiled, “Nice to see you, Harry. Um, I had some family problems to deal with last week. It’s good to be back.”

-

It was lunch time.

As usual, Harry would put his books away in his locker, go to the toilets and meet up with his friends in the canteen. He suspected nothing special would happen besides the different menu for the day’s lunch but just as he entered the canteen, his eye caught the sight of the dark-haired girl who he had wanting to see again. Quickly, he turned around to approach her by the vending machine.

“Lucy,” Harry’s lips formed into a big smile, “I can’t believe you’re here.”

Lucy shrugged her shoulders in return, “Neither do I.” She took a sip from the diet coke she bought before leaving the place with headphones covering her ears.

“Wait!” Harry called as he tried to catch up with the girl in the busy, crowded hallway. He saw her making her way towards the football/lacrosse field and he instantly knew she’ll be spending the lunch time at the bleachers.

“Why are you following me?” Lucy questioned when Harry sat next to her on the bleachers.

“I’m just curious,” He stated as he got himself comfortable on the bleachers and laced his fingers together, “Why weren’t you at school last week? Was it because of me?”

The girl stowed her headphones into her own rucksack and chuckles, “Curiousity killed the cat, Mr. Harry Styles.”

Harry frowned at her response, “You didn’t answer my question.”

She sighed, “Alright, alright. It’s just something personal, okay? No need to get your boxers in a twist. It’s not because of you.”

“Oh, so . . . remember what I asked you on Monday last week?” Harry threw in the question that had been bothering in his mind.

Lucy laughed humourously, “Seriously? You’re still in this ‘quest’ finding that girl?”

He took off his Snapback to run a hand through his hair, “I was just wondering if you’re still up for it?”

“Sure,” She let her fingers combed through Harry’s hair, “Your hair is just . . . bad. Let me help you with it.” Harry protested because no one treats his hair except for him and his barber. He doesn’t trust anyone touching his hair let alone treating it, especially Lucy. But she ignored Harry’s protests, “Just relax, okay? I know these things.”

Harry exhaled a breath, knowing he wouldn’t win an argument over Lucy. It felt nice as Lucy massaged his scalp with some hair gel and she styled his hair into a quiff instead of his normal hair-style which was a fringe covering his forehead. He stared into Lucy’s brown eyes and noticed how the shade of brown was similar to Kat’s.

“Done.” Lucy smiled (that made Harry a bit surprised since he never seen her smiling), “You look a tad bit fit now.” She laughed when Harry looked startled by the compliment, “Well, I guess I’ll be your partner in this quest thing. But we can only go hunting starting this Friday.”

Harry couldn’t believe she agreed. Lucy agreed! “Uh, thanks for the hair makeover. I’ll see you later. Um, text me, will ya? Do you still have my number?”

“Surprising yes,” She nodded and stole the Snapback in Harry’s hand, “I’ll be keeping this for a while, if you don’t mind. You should do your hair like this every day. The fringe is old news.” She commented as she placed the Snapback on her head.

Harry walked back into the school building with a smile etched to his lips.