Chapter 19: Sparks

“Rydel, have you seen any extra bobby pins??” Darcy called down the hallway towards the bathroom. Rydel poked her head out; she had a few strands of her long, blonde hair wrapped around the barrel of a curling iron. “Check your dresser-top!” she called back. Darcy crossed the room to where her dresser sat; sure enough, there were numerous copper colored pins scattered across the top. She quickly scooped up a few and pinned the loose strands of her ginger hair back into a twist. She turned to inspect the back of her sparkly dress in Rydel’s full length mirror. The gold color looked amazing against her pale complexion and red hair. She turned back around to face the mirror and ran her hands over the front of her dress. Her worry over Sean’s threat was only temporarily out of her mind. Since she and Ross didn’t have any instructions for the evening she intended to have a good time. Oddly enough, although she was still terrified of Sean, her thoughts had constantly been wandering to Riker over the past week. It made no sense. Sean’s warning should have been at the forefront of her mind, not Riker. “Hey, Darce- whoa.” Riker stopped quickly in the bedroom door. Darcy quickly whirled around to face him. She glanced down at her outfit. “What…is something wrong??” she asked frantically. Riker shook his head wordlessly as he stepped forward. He was dressed in a pair of black dress pants with a white button up and one of his usually skinny ties. She felt her stomach flutter. ‘Hot’ didn’t even begin to describe how he looked; he was downright handsome. His light blonde hair fell across his forehead like it usually did, made sleek and smooth by his mother and a straightening iron more than likely. His brown eyes were staring at her appreciatively. “No, it’s just…” he started hesitantly. Darcy stared at him expectantly. His cheeks flushed a pale shade of pink. “You look beautiful.” He finished finally. She smiled genuinely at him as another light flutter ran through her stomach. Ross had said those exact words to her numerous times, mostly while they were acting. They’d never had the effect on her that they were now. Something about the way Riker was looking at her let her know that he truly meant what he was saying.  “So…I got you something.” he said quickly. He looked nervously down at his feet. “I was trying to figure out when your birthday was. Then I remembered that the night of your party was when you kind of…yelled at me.” He chuckled. Darcy laughed as well, remembering that evening very clearly. Riker took a step forward and held out a small black box, big enough to fit perfectly in the palm of her hand. “Happy very late birthday.” He said apologetically as he placed the box in her outstretched hand. She quickly flipped the top open and gasped. It was a sterling silver necklace with a dainty, diamond-inlaid ‘D’ charm dangling from the delicate chain. She looked back up at him wordlessly. “Oh, Riker. It’s beautiful.” She breathed. He grinned as he stepped forward and pulled the necklace carefully from the box. “You don’t have to lie to me, you know. If you don’t like it I can get you another one.” He joked. She shook her head quickly as he came to stand behind her. “No, I absolutely love it.” She assured him. She jumped slightly when the cool metal from the necklace touched her throat. Riker’s fingertips grazed the back of her neck as he fastened the clasp of the chain. The slight touch sent goose bumps trailing down her spine. She prayed Riker wouldn’t notice. She turned around quickly to face him. He stared thoughtfully at the pendant around her neck for a few moments. “I don’t know if the silver really goes with the gold dress. You don’t have to wear it tonight.” he said honestly. She shook her head again. “I don’t care.” She stepped forward and wrapped her arms tightly around his neck. “Thank you.” She said quietly in his ear. He snaked his arms around her waist and pulled her even closer to him. “You’re welcome.”

**

Darcy held tightly to Ross’s arm as they walked up the pathway to the club where Ryland & Ellington’s joint party was being held. Ross stopped just as they came to the doors and turned to face her. “Darcy, I really am sorry about you not being able to go home. I feel awful.” He said quietly. She smiled reassuringly at him and stretched up to peck his cheek. “It’s okay, Ross. Don’t feel bad. It’s just part of the contract. I knew I’d probably have to make sacrifices eventually.” She assured him. Ross half-smiled “I’ll make it up to you somehow, I promise. Now…shall we?” he asked, gesturing to the door. She laced her fingers through his and nodded. “We shall.” They stepped inside and were instantly greeted by the pounding of the bass booming through the speakers set up all over the room. The dance floor was packed with a multitude of sweaty bodies. “I didn’t think you guys knew this many people.” Darcy called over the music. Ross shrugged. “I don’t think we do. They just show up.” He joked. She giggled and followed closely behind him towards the other side of the room where the family was. Ryland and Rocky were nowhere to be found, as were Mackenzie and Breanne. They were more than likely out on the dance floor, where Darcy longed to be. “Hey mom!” Ross greeted as he approached Stormie. He gave her a quick peck on the cheek before turning back to Darcy. “Darce, do you want me to get you some pun-” “No, I want to dance!” she called loudly. She tugged eagerly on his arm. “Come on, Ross. Dance with me.” She pleaded. Ross hesitated. “I dunno, I’m not really feeling the whole dancing thing right now.” He said apologetically. Darcy pouted and crossed her arms. “Oh go on, Ross. You know you want to.” A familiar Australian voice called from behind him. Maia quickly approached the two of them and threw her arms around Darcy’s neck. “Oh, Darce, I missed you! We haven’t seen eachother in far too long.” She pouted playfully. Darcy grinned and nodded. “Too long. And did you see all that Twitter nonsense?” she asked curiously. Maia nodded and rolled her eyes. “Oh my God, yes. I wanted to text you about it but I was sure you were on edge. Good idea, Ross. Taking her to set. Was Laura upset?” she questioned. Darcy shook her head. “No, not at all.” She suddenly grinned widely, her eyes trailing back and forth from Maia to the dance floor. “Hey, do you want to dance? Since Ross is being a big party pooper over here.” She teased. Maia nodded enthusiastically and linked her arm through Darcy’s. “Absolutely. Ross, I’m stealing your woman.” She teased, sticking out her tongue playfully as she followed Darcy towards the dance floor.