1~ What About Now?

I couldn't bring myself to talk to River the rest of the weekend.

He tried to stop me in the halls, in the kitchen, and even when I came in and crawled into bed. But I couldn't speak to him about all of this, not when I don't even understand it myself.

"Okay, chica." Daisy's voice snapped me out of my thoughts. "What the hell is wrong with you? You've been distant all day." I lifted my head up from where I sat in the booth, my eyes staring down at the shake in front of me as my stomach started churning in disgust.

"Nothing. I'm fine." I assured her, swallowing as I pushed the milkshake away from me.

"That's a bunch of crap. Caleb said you wouldn't even touch the wine at the table the other night when I was away. Why?" She reached across the table and squeezed my hand, then her eyes slowly started to grow wide.

"Oh, shit. Are you pregnant?" She gaped at me, making me feel like some kind of monster.

Before I could answer my best friend, the sound of the bell signaling someone was coming in went off and I was suddenly overwhelmed with the scent of a Vanilla perfume.

"I'm here." Mia gasped, shoving Daisy down the booth across from me and catching her breath.

"Hey, watch it!" Daisy joked, slapping Mia's arm. They both laughed before turning their attention back to me.

"You look like you're about to puke all over me." Mia whispered, "Should I move?" I shook my head, smiling weakly at her.

"I'm okay, really, guys." I assured them. Daisy opened her mouth to respond just as keys were dropped on to the table in front of me. I looked up, seeing the shocked looks on both of the girls faces before meeting familiar blue eyes. I hadn't even heard him come in.

"Okay, Carls. We seriously need to talk. Why haven't you been talking to me?" He completely ignored the other two girls at the table as he leaned over the table to stare into my eyes.

"I'm sorry." I whispered. He shook his head, pushing my bangs out of my eyes.

"Don't apologize, Carls. I just want you to communicate with me. I want to know what's going on, I hate when you leave me in the dark, it sucks." I felt one of the girls kick me under the table, obviously prompting me to respond.

"Okay. I. . . we can talk about it tonight." I sent a quick look at Daisy, to which she returned with a smile. River nodded, kissing me quickly before heading toward the door. He stopped a few feet away, his back still tensed a little.

"Don't forget that we have to drive out to LA for Collin's wedding on Sunday." I was about to respond, but he was out the door before I could. It wasn't until the girls knew he was gone that they both started giggling.

"Oh, someone's getting laid tonight." Mia said, grinning in my direction. Daisy was shaking her head, a worried look starting to enter her eyes.

"I doubt that. I'm thinking maybe a little messing around, but no sex." She said to Mia, "So Caleb told you about us being late to the wedding, right? I have to study for an exam, we can't leave until later in the night. We'll be missing the rehearsal dinner." I nodded, waving it off. Collin would understand, he'd probably be so obsessed with Nina and trying to get her to calm down over everything.

"So, chica. You didn't answer my question." Daisy started to tap her fingers on the table, earning a strange look out of Mia.

"What question? Am I missing something here?" Mia asked, clearly confused.