Chapter 4

Chapter 4 -- Running with the Pack

I waited where I was at until Alec caught up with me. "You want to take a walk?" I asked, I don't know why I just asked that, but it was too late to take it back.

He seemed taken aback for a split second before he recovered and flashed me a grin, "Sure."

I followed his lead as he led me out into the parking lot. We followed one of the paths that led into the forest and I began to question my decision of being alone with him. I knew I would be able to handle myself; it was more the fear of exposing myself; that seemed to be all that I worried about.

We both stopped and turned to each other "Um...” "Listen...” Alec and I said at the same time. I smiled slightly embarrassed. "You go first."

"No, you go ahead." he countered.

"Okay. I just wanted to say..." I took a deep breath, "I'm sorry." I mumbled. "I shouldn't have said those things to you or Reece and I shouldn't have acted so irrationally." I felt like I was confessing all of this in front of the Council instead of Alec.

"... Oh. Well, I'm glad that's all out in the open." he shifted his wait, looking down and seeming uncomfortable. "I want to apologize for the way I have acted as well. I was rude and I provoked you."

"Glad we're on the same page." I relaxed. Maybe we could have a new start.

Alec started walking again, deeper into the woods, "You really shouldn't act like you did. It could cause problems."

I came to a sudden stop, "What?!" I said outraged. He was really going to try and put all of the blame on me?!

"You're too rebellious and-"

"Oh how about you just shut up! I'm not the one that's trying to control things! I don't go around pushing people's buttons and acting like I'm better than any other person in school!" I yelled. So much for a fresh start.

"Excuse me?! I'm not the one who shows up out of the blue and thinks I can just miraculously run the place. I also don't go around gossiping and pissing people off!"

"Oh really?! Then what do you call this?!" I asked, yelling in his face, "All you've ever said or done has pissed me off!"

"Then the feeling's mutual!"

"Ugh! You're unbelievable!!"

"Really?! You wanna know what's unbelievable?!" I was about to interrupt but he gave me no room to speak. "You're really the unbelievable one! You think you can claim to know me and my family! Well how about I let YOU in on a little secret: you know NOTHING about me. Or my family." he growled.

I know more about you than you could ever guess, I thought to myself. “And you don’t know anything about me either.” I turned on my heel and walked calmly out of the woods only glancing back once to see that Alec had disappeared.

I had almost reached the clearing when I decided I wanted to go for a long run. I veered off the path and began to jog, letting my senses come back. I debated for a while whether I should leave a trail of my scent but decided against it. I finally felt free and I just continued to run, enjoying how secluded this place was. I began to slow down to a slight run, almost at the speed of a human and as I did so I heard a noise on my left. Worst idea of my life to go running in the woods with werewolves in them. Especially with nothing to cover my face with.

I skidded to a halt and dove for the bushes right next to a tree, making it in just before a wolf walked out. Standing roughly 6 feet tall was a lone wolf with midnight black fur and white on his left paw. I wonder how much he saw; if he only saw me running at a slower speed or if he saw me running at inhuman speed or if he even saw me. The wolf stared at the bushes for a long time and cocked his head, as if he was trying to see who it was in them. The wolf sniffed the air but I remained unscented; he knew something was there, he just didn't know what.