11. The Bliss of Love

Start from the beginning

Out!

I blinked in the darkness of the night for a moment. When my eyes slowly became used to the gloom, I could make out the stocky form of Morty a little way away, gazing left and right in search of his lost future bride. My aunt was standing a bit closer to the door, only feet away from me.

Quickly, I turned to the left and headed down the street, away from the house.

Don't let them see me, don't let them see me, don't let them see me...

'Where could she have gone?'

'I don't know, Mr Fitzgerald.'

'I can't see anyo – oh, excuse me! Sir! Sir, have you seen a girl? About your height, with shoulder-long brown hair, and–'

I broke into a run.

*~*~**~*~*

If I'd had any hope that a night of searching through the wet alleys of London might cool Morty's passion, that hope vanished the moment he showed up at our house the next morning. And by morning, I mean six o'clock. Ante meridiem.

I mean, honestly! Six am! Just because he thought the woman he loved had been kidnapped and ravished by a rake? The nerve of the man! I had to work, after all.

Of course, he wasn't actually aware of that little fact, so from a purely logical standpoint I couldn't really blame him for it. Still, at six in the morning, with my sleep-deprived eyes only half open and my hair a mess of brown lianas on my head, I wasn't inclined to be particularly logical – or polite. As I stumbled to the door, still in my nightgown, cursing whoever was standing outside, ringing the doorbell like a madman, I was contemplating the use of brute force to shut them up.

'Yes?' I yanked the door open. 'Who is it and why are you making such a rack–'

I got no further. An instant later, I was engulfed in a crushing hug. Something small and cuddly had thrown itself at me. Did we have a monkey waiting outside the door?

'Oh my God! Thank you! You are safe, Lillian my love! You are safe and well!'

No. It wasn't a monkey. It was a Morty.

He tried to kiss me, and I ducked to the left. He tried to kiss me from the other direction, and I ducked to the right. Some distant part of my mind that wasn't completely sleep-deprived had time to admire how quick my reflexes were at six in the morning.

'Oh Lillian, my love! I was so worried! So terribly worried! I'd like to hold you and never let go again!'

'Yes, Morty, I can feel that. Say...you wouldn't mind loosening your grip a little, would you?'

'What?'

'Loosen. Your. Grip!'

'Oh. If you think I should. I...' Morty's eyes went wide. Only now did he seem to register that I was wearing nothing but a nightshirt, and he, to put it delicately, was hugging me very, very closely. He let go as if he'd been burned and jumped back at least three feet.

'Oh. Um... I'm so sorry, Lillian, my love! So terribly sorry! It won't ever...I mean...I will never again...I didn't mean to...'

His stuttering went on until my aunt made her way down the stairs and shooed me off into mine and Ella's room to dress. Knowing that my aunt would be up to drag me down by my hair if I didn't hurry, I enlisted Ella's help in squeezing into my dress and was back downstairs in a couple of minutes.

The good news was: Morty was so embarrassed by having hugged a girl in her nightdress that he kept his hands off me during the entire breakfast. The bad news was: he definitely had not changed his mind about the engagement. Between the embarrassed looks he sent my way, there still were at least a dozen hot looks of passionate longing. There really was no way around it: the man was head over heels in love with me. He was so happy to see me safe and well, he didn't even ask where I had disappeared to last night.