Surviving

Lucy

   Waking up the next day was easier than the last. My fingers touched my lips, still tingling from Lockwood's. 

     As I remembered the date my vision became blurry. I looked around my old blue walled bedroom reminiscing about the times I would play with my sister in this room. 

    I immediately got out of bed and went to the bathroom, there, laid the clothes I put out the night before. A black skirt, black button up shirt, and black boots. A depressing outfit for a depressing day.

       ...........................

    "Stay still, or I'll yank your hair!" I heard Mam tell one of my sisters downstairs. "Mum, that hurts!" I heard Haley complain. Only on occasions did Mam do our hair, I wasn't sure if you would consider this an occasion.

    I went to the guest room to find Lockwood already dressed. Suit and coat. He looked at me as if he had never seen my hair brushed before. He walked up to me and hugged me. 

Well, that was unexpected.

Only then did I realize how grateful I was to have him there with me. I dug my face into his chest and heaved a great sigh. "I don't know how I'm going to survive today, Lockwood." He lifted my chin and kissed my forehead. "I'm right here, love. If you don't survive, then I'll bring you back to life."

 ....................

  On this side of England, we didn't have many cabs, unlike London. So we walked the three miles to the graveyard. We met up with Ellie, Ava, and Derek near the old train station that brought back painful memories. There the trio signed and said their condolences. I clung to Lockwood the whole way there and to the cemetery.

  My mother was more quiet than usual, considering she lost her favorite daughter. Oh yes, my mother has a favorite everything, even if you're not meant to. 

  My sisters took today off work for the funeral. But I know Mam forced them to. They are just like cinderella's sisters. Caught up in appearance and reputation but not family. 

   The trio looked as if they were just gonna break down. No one was as close to Mary then me but they came in close second. Ava is the oldest out of the trio so she understood what Mary went through personally and emotionally. Ellie usually was alone because Ava would go to school and there were no schools around for deaf people with Braille so Mary would sign with her all day. Derek was like a Mary. He kept to himself most of the time, but once you get to know him he's really sweet. Derek looked up to Mary with love and want to be a role model like her when he got older, so did the rest of us.

     We walked past the tiger lily field, where we came in contact with a sly visitor named Penny Nolan quite a few times. She'd laid down in a river drowning herself, because of love.

    Lockwood looked ready. He's already been to three funerals so we know what is to happen. Tears. Prayers. Speeches. I'm just glad I have somebody like him there with me. He caught me looking at him. His brown eyes full of sympathy. " Those we love don't go away, they walk beside us every day. Unseen, unheard but always near. Still loved, still missed and very dear. " he told me

   ......................

   We finally got to the cemetery about an hour later. There were people from Mary's work and old schools that were there for the service. Many said the condolences others stayed in silence.

  When they brought the coffin out I almost yelled out. There was a picture of Mary, her graduation picture. She was lucky enough to get great schooling up North where all the good schools were. I cried the whole ceremony. Lockwood was there to calm me down before the speeches. It was weird to cry in front of people. I never do it. When the priest called us up for our words I only reached the foot of the altar when I wanted to turn around and head home. " Luce, it's alright. Just go up there and say what you need to say. " I looked up at him and nodded. I wiped my tear stained face and walked up to the altar. 

    There was silence for a minute. Then I started. "Mary never really liked funerals, because she thought of them to sad for her liking. Although she told me one day that even though they are sad they can still be happy." I took a breath and looked at her picture. "' In every shadow, there is light, in every year a smile, In death I know there is still life that lingers for a while.'" I repeated the words to me from years ago from when we were at Dad's funeral, and of course, I was a child so Mary would rhyme her words to make it seem happier than it really was. I looked around the cemetery and saw the effect my words had. Her words had. " She always had a way with words, even with the most depressing subjects. " I got chuckles from the crowd. " Another friend of mine told me that 'the past is for ghost.' Which I find very true. But then he also told me 'Those we love don't go away, they walk beside us every day. Unseen, .unheard but always near. Still loved, still missed and very dear.'" I took a moment. " True poets, yes but both with very true meaning. Mary will be missed but she will always be right here, with us. " I said pointing to my heart. "Thank you," I said and walked down the altar. 

  Lockwood looked at as proudly. He came up and hugged me saying " I knew you could do it. " In my ear. Then he kissed my forehead. 

Lockwood's POV

I wasn't sure on how Lucy would react to me kissing her forehead. But she didn't do anything. 

  We listened to her mother's speech then went up to the coffin's burial spot. I looked at the picture of Mary and thought of Lucy. She looked exactly like her but older.

  "Lucy?" I asked when I saw her leaning on me. She just said " I want to go home. " I nodded and went to go tell everyone that we'd be leaving.

  I knew the feeling of losing a sister. Losing family. I grabbed good of Lucy's hand to comfort her. She looked at me then she smiled. A real beautiful Lucy Carlyle smile.

  She kissed my cheek and said, "Thank you." She leaned on my arm and we walked the rest of the way in peace and Lucy knowing Mary is still with her.

  AHHHHHHHH I finally got to update! !!!!! Yay! Thank you rosedaisy for your ideas! I'm gonna have the next chapter up soon. Vote. Comment. And wait beyond the iron line.....hehehe

         Signing out.