Chapter 5

A/n- Thank you to everyone who is reading this book and to the people who are voting I hope you are enjoying!
Xoxo
Fifi

Paige P.O.V

I woke a few minutes later smothered in Caleb's arms. I look up at him and then back outside the door, where a huge surprise is waiting.

Gradually I stand and take small shuddering steps towards the open door. Once I'm outside , I gaze down at the most precious sight in the world. There, on my doorstep, is a little girl no older than two and a newborn baby boy.

The little boy is wearing a blue onsie that looks two sizes too big for him and a little blue knitted hat to match . He looks tiny in comparison to the little box he was placed in, that was carelessly left on my door.

I then turn my attention to the little girl who is laying on the cold floor by her brothers box, curled up in a tight ball with a pink ratty blanket draped over her. All I could see of her is a tuft of brown hair and the side of her face that peaked out over the blanket with the rest of her hidden beneath.  

Both of them are still quietly asleep and did not seem disturbed by my presence. Stepping back an inch to think about the situation is when I finally notice that Caleb followed me outside and is standing directly behind me.

Looking over my shoulder at him I notice him staring down at the two infants with a look of adoration. Quietly, he makes his way over to the little girl and lifts the blanket off her gently.

She twitches twice as the cold reaches her small body but doesn't awake. After removing the blanket we can see that she is wearing a pair of pink leggings and a grey bunny top. Her leggings seemed to contain a small bulge which indicates that she is not yet potty trained and still needs nappies. Her little feet are contained in a pair of grey bunny slippers that seem to match her top. There is no coat or jacket on her to help prevent her catching a cold which worries me the most.

A gust of wind blows across the garden and soon she starts to tremble in her sleep. Instantly Caleb leans around me and scoops her up into his arms, cradling her against his chest. I pass him her pink blanket to wrap around her to add a layer between her and the icy air. Quickly, he carries her towards the house and thats when I turn by attention to the blue bundle still in the box.

Scooping the baby boy into my arms I am careful to support his head as he only looks a few days old.
Crouching down with him carefully, I pick up his blanket to wrap around him and fined a letter at the bottom of his cardboard bed. I pick both the letter and blanket up, discarding the box, before taking us both in the heated home behind me.

Once entering the living room, I spot Caleb sitting on one of the armchairs with the little girl on his lap. Seeing that she was wide awake I took in her striking blue eyes that we did not see before. Caleb and I did not make a sound as she looks around the room, glancing at everything and then at us. I gave her a small smile of encouragement when her head turns in my direction, hoping to come across friendly and someone she can trust.

Caleb nods his head in my direction and after staring at him for a few seconds wondering what he means, I realise that he is nodding at the little boy, that still lays asleep in my arms.

On the seat next to me I create a small wall using pillows and place the baby down on the other side. That way if he should roll over, he would not fall off and onto the floor. I cover him with his blanket to keep him warm and wait to see if he awakens.

After a few moments later of him not waking up, I let out a relieved sigh before turning my attention back towards Caleb and the toddler.

"Soooooo...." I started at a complete loss for words.

"What's that?" Caleb asked, pointing to the letter that I placed on the coffee table only moments ago.

"O...oh... I...foun...found...it..it...in ....th...the..box." I stuttered while handing him the letter.

He tore the envelope of the letter and began to read the contents out loud.

Dear Caleb and Paige.
    I am so sorry to leave my to babies at your door but I just couldn't take care of them. I have no money and I can't give them a good life they desperately deserve. This is why I chose you two to look after them because I know you both will do a good job. Caleb I know you will protect them with your life and Paige you are already a mothering figure so please, don't give up on them. Keep them as your own and give them a good life that I could not give them. The little girls name is  Madison-grace Clement and she is 2, her birthday is on the 4th of January. The little boy is only 4 days old so his birthday is the 29th of September, His name is Noah Alexander Clement. You can change their last names to yours but please keep their first names as it's the only thing I can give them. I thank you for everything your about to do for the children and I really am appreciative of your efforts. I need to get my life together and sort myself out. It's not healthy to bring children into this environment so I need to change.

Thank you very much for your help.
Sincerely
- ?

After reading the letter Caleb crumples it into a ball and throws it onto the chair next to him. I stare at him to try and sense his reaction but his face is emotionless.

Replaying the words written back in my head I try and think about what this lady wanted us to do. Someone specifically wanted Caleb and I to raise two children by ourselves and hand picked us.

It could never work as we don't see each other at all and if we do it's to take care of a plastic baby on Fridays. If he can't even take care of a mechanical infant, he's definitely not going to be able to handle two real children, both whom are under the age of three.

Looking back over at Caleb, I notice that the little girl, who we now know is called Madison-Grace, eyes are fluttering open and closed. Her efforts in fighting sleep lose and she eventually shuts her eyes and cuddles closer to Caleb. His arms bulge as he secures her safety closer to him and tightens the blanket around her tiny frame.

"I think I should put her into bed." He whispers. I however, wonder where they are both going to sleep as we are tight for space.

He heads towards the stairs with a sleeping Maddison in his arms as I follow behind them with Noah.

Heading in my room, I settle Noah into the crib that daisy the mechanical doll once occupied. I put a spare pacifier, again a pink product from daisy in his mouth which he gladly accepts and starts to suckle on.

Hearing a cough from behind me I spin around to see Caleb standing in the middle of my room with Maddie still cuddled in his arms.

Thinking quickly I decide that we could make a temporary bed out of pillows and blankets for her to use just for the night.

I remember that Chris's old crib is still being kept in the attack and make a mental not to myself to retrieve it in the morning.

I grab three blankets from my chest of drawers and fold them on the floor to replicate and mattress. I then take a spare pillow from my bed and place that at one end along with a small teddy that I kept in my room.

I gesture to Caleb to place the little girl in the blankets carefully and he does so. Once I know she's settled I drape her blanket around her and place another one of Daisy's pacifiers between her lips but only this time it's yellow in colour. She quickly accepts it and just like her brother she starts to suckle on it instantly.

"Cal..." I didn't get to finish what I wanted to say because a finger is placed against my lips.

"Please, just go to sleep, we'll talk about this in the morning." He interrupts.

Sighing, I walk over to my bed and collapse onto it face first. Caleb soon follows, however he ends up lying down gracefully unlike me. His arm leans against my own as he pulls the covers up over us. I turn my back to him to limit the body contact and soon my eyes are closing and I let the darkness consume me, taking me to a night full of strange dreams.