Chapter one

A pale young girl with white hair and red eyes hid behind a bush holding up a wooden sword. This girl was Julchen Beilschmidt also known as the young nation of Prussia. Another child with brown hair tied back in a ponytail was sneaking up on Julchen without her noticing. This child was Daniel Hédérvary also known as the nation of Hungary. Daniel and Julchen were best friends, they always had been.

Daniel brought his wooden sword down on Julchen's head.
"Mein Gott!"
Julchen yelled.
"Ha ha ha! I win again!"
Daniel said laughing. Julchen rubbed the huge red, bump on her head, her face red.
"You snuck up on me! Zat's not fair!"
Julchen said standing up.
"Well it's obvious you're to stupid to see me sneaking up on you!"
Daniel retorted. Julchen picked up her wooden sword and swung it at Daniel. He blocked it. The two started sword fighting across the big field they always played in. After a few hours they then collapsed on the ground, they're chests rising up and down heavily.

"I beat you." Julchen said in between breaths.
"It was a tie stupid."
Daniel responded out of breath. The two looked up at the clouds. After a few minutes of silence, Julchen turned her head to Daniel.
"Hey Dan,"
"Yeah?"
"What would you do if I died?"
"Then I'd have to die!" Daniel responded sitting up abruptly. Julchen sat up.
"If I die you have to keep living no matter what, K?"
Daniel blinked at her sudden comment.
"Ok."
"Promise?"
"Promise."
The two linked pinkies. Suddenly Julchen stood up.
"Race you back! Loser has to cook for winner!"
Julchen said taking off down the hill."Hey!"
Daniel exclaimed running after her.

     That evening Julchen sat up in her bed. Moon and starlight filtered in through the open window. A small yellow bird flew in. Julchen held out her hand and the little bird landed in it. She cupped the bird in her hands and swung her legs over so she was sitting on the edge of her bed. She looked down at the bird, it was just a fledgling. Still fluffy and soft. Julchen laid down on her side while looking at the bird. She felt her eyes grow heavy and she fell into unconsciousness. 

     Julchen opened her eyes. She was in a golden field. She sat up and looked around. Nothing but long golden grass stretched out before her. She stood up and started walking forward. A wind picked up, blowing her long white hair around, she closed her eyes and held her arms up to avoid being blown in the face. The wind died down and she opened her eyes and lowered her arms. A figure with features she couldn't make out appeared. She started hearing whispers. "1947, 1947, 1947." 

     "Vhat do you mean 1947?" Julchen called out. "Who are you?!" The figure started walking away. The wind picked up. "1947, 1947, 1947..." The wind seemed to whisper. The field started changing. "Vhat do you want?!" The field disappeared beneath Julchen's feet and she fell into dark nothingness.