Chapter One

Chapter One:

Lights blurred around us in a haze of blues, reds and whites. The music blasted from speakers that towered from the floor to the ceiling, belting out songs that had no meaning other than drinking and dancing. People felt nothing but obliged to obey the lyrics. Anything to escape the reality they dreaded.

I allowed my body to sway with the beat, holding my arms in the air and shaking my hips. I ignored the men that slid behind me, focusing on spinning and trying not to crush anybody's feet with my stilettos. I wasn't interested in the men, rather the beautiful blonde that danced in front of me, teasing my eyes with her red dress that barely covered her thighs.

Rosie smiled at me, a seductive smile that sent tingles down my spine. But we kept our distance, teasing each other with our eyes, allowing our bodies to grind against others, dropping to the floor and shimmying our way back up. It was our ritual every time we went clubbing, a game to see who would snap first. I always lost.

I turned my back on her, running my hands down my hips. As much as I longed to see my girlfriend's pained expression as I ignored her attempts to make me crack, I closed my eyes and let the music take me.

Hands grabbed my waist, and a whisper in my ear said "you win this time, Lark." I bit my lip in a smile as I spun around to meet the owner of the voice. Rosie's sharp, blue eyes locked onto mine. I held her hand and forced her to twirl before bringing her close to me.

We stayed like that for a while, holding each other close, staring into each other's eyes and just loving the moment we were in. The songs changed yet we stayed the same, allowing people to push past in their haste to leave or find a partner to grind on. We didn't need to search for anybody, we had each other.

"I love you, Rose," I mouthed, she mouthed it back. Her glittery lips shone in the bright lights, those full lips that would grab hold of mine and refuse to let go.

Rosie lead me towards the bar. There were two empty bar stools that we quickly jumped on before anybody else could snatch them up. Not that anybody wanted to, they were too busy dancing.

"Two vodka and cokes please," Rosie winked at the barman. She was a flirt, but I knew she was mine. Vodka and coke was our drink that signalled the end of the night, something strong that would leave us staggering home and laughing at each stumble.

"What's the time?" I ask Rosie. I left my phone at home. On purpose. I didn't want any distractions.

"I don't know," she caught sight of the bartender's watch. "Half two, it says."

"Good thing I don't have work Sundays," I laughed, thanking the bartender as he planted the drinks in front of us. He winked at Rosie as she paid him.

"Lucky you," Rosie poked her tongue out at me, though her forehead crinkled in premature regret and worry.

"Save that for the morning," I giggled, "we're having fun tonight. In three?" I raised the glass and counted to three using my fingers before chugging the drink. The alcohol burned my throat as it trailed down, the rush of drunkenness sent shivers through my veins. Rose followed suit, shaking her head at the bitter taste.

"It was your idea to do this," I reminded. "It's your tradition."

"I was drunk," Rosie stuck her tongue out at me again. "Let's dance and we'll go home."

We giggled as we joined the crowd of sweaty bodies, embracing the heat as it hit our faces, forcing our make-up to smudge and the alcohol to buzz through us. Our night had consisted of gin and tonics and red wine. It had consisted of talking to random people and dancing with strangers. It had consisted of cheeky flirtations in the bathroom and teasing on the dance floor. So, to end the night, we decided to do it with a bang.