The Innkeeper's Daughter - A Short Story by @Dearest_Writer

Start from the beginning

"Are the rumors true about you? Do you manifest into a beast when anger covets your mind and logic escapes from you? Have you killed men over the most trivial of issues because your feelings were broken?" I sneered. The smirk broke but the glimmer still lingered within his eyes; a softness that I could only describe as joy.

He let me go and I continued placing the plates of food and tea on the table before dismissing myself back into the kitchen.

"No, you should stay here. We have nothing to hide." I turned around only to see both my mother and John staring at me. The long silence chilled my bones as I took a seat next to my mother. I did not face him again until he broke the silence.

"You've heard of my exploits, I see. I am a tall tale, a cautionary one. I am the type of man you stay away from. I am the type of man you fear. Hence my last name." He looked upon us with sorrow, his eyes glancing between my mother and I. I assumed waiting for our response, for my response.

"I know who you are, John Fear and I am not afraid. Matter of fact, I pity you of your condition. But isn't science a magnificent invention? Such a thing that can cure even lycanthropy." I forced a smile upon my face as I watched him closely. His facial expressions shifted from anger, to sadness, to complete surrender.

"Lilly, he'd never afford such a thing."

"Such things are only for the wealthy. Us lonely souls are cursed with what we are and what we must deal with. But..." He put his satchel on the chair next to him, deviousness glowed within his eyes. "I've got one. Just one. And it wasn't easy to get." My mother shock her head, letting out a soft chuckle. John gave a little smirk. I was the only one that did not find it funny, matter fact more of an annoyance than hilarious.

"A thief in our house as well. I must keep my valuable close to my heart."

"I will snatch your heart as well, Lilly." I turned away, my face flushed red at this comment. My mother looked on in utter shock.

"That is the other reason why I've come. Lilly, we've grown up together as wee babes. I've gone off to obtain fortune only to find misery and despair. And I am done with all of it. Through the darkness, I've always saw you. Thought of the possibility of one day marrying my childhood sweetheart." Looking deep within his eyes, I could see the truth. He loved me. Truly loved me in his own mysterious way. My heart fluttered at this proposal. But before I could answer, doom in from of horses could be heard outside.

Their hooves echoed and thundered through the night like an army waiting for the order to attack. I opened my eyes. John slowly stood up from his chair, glancing out the window. A loud pounding interrupted us. It sliced through our silence, completely capturing our attention. My mother stood near the door. I could tell the hesitation to answer it even though we were an inn and should welcome all weary souls. But not on this night. This night we were terrified of everyone that came to the door.

"We are closed, we aren't welcoming anyone. Go somewhere else." My mother's voice was shrill but firm and confident.

"I know you have him. And he best come out." The man's voice boomed through the night air. The familiarity of it crossed my mind.

"This Billy? What you doing over here late as it is?"

"It is. I don't mean any harm but we know John Fear is in there. We saw him come off the ship earlier. We got some business with him and it's best to let us handle it. No harm will come to you." John started combing his hair with his fingers as he approached the door; meaning to leave us and deal with whatever vendetta he caused to these men but my mother shook her head. Pulling herself away from the door, she pushed him back a little.