Don't get Bit

Chapter 6

     I punch the zombie that grabbed my arm hard in the face and being brittle he fell over. Before he can scamper back up I grab Nathans arm and pull him to the now open cafeteria door. As soon as we are in I lock the doors and Nathan puts the metal bars back into place through the handles. I start pushing the tables against the doors but a hand stops me out of reflex and fear im about to pull my elbow back to hit the owner of the hand in the jaw but a sweet little voice stops me.

    " We don't need to push the tables. Those things can't even open a door and soon another noise will atract them somewhere else."

     I turn around to see a scrawny girl who was maybe 12. She had light brown skin and extremely curly brown hair. She looked up at me with light brown trusting eyes. It felt so good to see a little kid still alive that I bent down and straight up hugged her. She didn't seem surprised and hugged me back.

    "How did you get here." I asked her. She pointed to the corner where a lady lay dead. Nathan was bending over her and beckoned me to come over there. Reluctantly I walked to where the lady was laying. Automaticly I recognized her. She had been my 3rd grade teacher.

    "She brought me and 4 other kids here when it happened and two of the kids didn't make it here. When me and the other boy got here she closed the doors and got us some food. The next morning I woke up to her jerking and puking she had sweat all over here and then she passed out. I didn't know what to do so I just sat next to her and then she jerked. She moved really weird as she turned to look at me. Something was wrong. She looked me in the eye and then jumped for me. Next thing I see is the little boy holding a knife and the lady dead on the floor." said the girl. I looked at the teachers body and sure enough right on her shoulder was a deep bite. I met Nathans gaze. He saw the bite to.

     "All it took was one day." He muttered quietly.

     "What happened to the little boy by the way?"I asked hopping he was still alive. She waved me and Nathan to follow her. She knocked on the kitchen doors.

     "Its Reah." she sayed. Automatically the door swung open and standing there was Eathan. He looked at me with his big blue eyes and ran towards me.

    " Sis!" He yelled. He ran up and gave me a huge hug and believe me he was strong for an eight year old. I hugged him back tightly and just cried tears of joy right there. My little brother was alive and in that moment when I hugged him I made a promise in my head to him and my parents that I would keep him alive and safe no matter what. He broke the hug and ran to Nathan who has known our family for years. He ran into him and hugged him to. Nathan laughed and ruffled Eathans blonde messy hair. We all walked into the kithen and locked the doors. After talking, joking from Nathan and getting know Reah ,who seemed really shy, we noticed it was 9:00pm.

    "Come on guys lets get some sleep." I sayed when I noticed my little brother yawning. He groaned but didn't protest and soon we were all in one corner in makeshift beds. which consisted of our jackets under our heads. I layed next to Eathan and stroked his blonde locks until he fell asleep. Soon Reah was asleep to. Which left me to talk to Nathan.

     "It all happened faster then I ever thought it would."I said in the silence.

"I think its been going on for a while now." Nathan said which shocked me.

     "What do you mean?" I asked.

Nathan turned to me.

    "Well do you remember that one guy who was in the hospital and they couldn't find out what it was but they just thought he went AWOL?" he asked. I nodded and he continued. " Then one day he bit and attacked the doctor who had to shoot him. Then there were reports that the doctor went missing."

Suddenly it all clicked. It had been going on for a while. That had happened three weeks ago. Maybe we would never find out exactly what happened but now I knew that this had been going on for awhile so why did we just now find it out when it was to late. I turned around to respond to Nathan but found him fast asleep. He slept crazy. His limbs were in every different directions and taking up a huge amount of space. His mouth was open and he was drooling and his longish dirty blonde hair was going in every direction. I rolled my eyes and laughed. Sighing I layed my head down and closed my eyes.

     After numerous attempts to sleep I decided to walk around for a bit. Of course the space that I could walk around was very limited and my legs ached to run. I went through the cabinets and found the knives. That might come in handy. I noted which drawer they were in and continued. When I found pots pulled a shiny one out and looked at my reflection. My strawberry blonde hair was straight as always and uncontrollable as always. I tried to run my fingers through it but it was oily. It had only been two days since the whole thing had started and already my hair was oily. Great just great. I looked back at my reflection. My green eyes stared back at me looking tired. I had always hated how they were to big for my face. My light pink lips had a gash in them. When did I get that? Oh well better get used to it I thought to myself. My skin as always was a pale ivory and luckily had always been clear. Well I looked gross I thought as I put the pot away. I walked to one of the large sinks and ducked my head into the cold water. Even though I didn't have any shampoo or conditioner I tried to scrub it clean. I turned off the water. My hair was long and made my whole back wet but I didnt care. I walked back to my "bed" and fell into a deep sleep.