ONE

NOTE TO READERS:  I know you're waiting for the final installment of Slippery Slopes, and I apologize for the delay but I had other pressing projects I had to work on

NOTE TO READERS:  I know you're waiting for the final installment of Slippery Slopes, and I apologize for the delay but I had other pressing projects I had to work on. Right now, I have to do this Halloween story because, well, it's for Halloween and Halloween is almost upon us :) When I finish with this story, I will resume slippery Slopes. Thank you for your patience :)

________________________________

The crisp, late morning air steamed the two men's breath as they walked hand in gloved hand along the rural paved road leading out of the small town. Their suits and fashionable overcoats, as well as the bibles gripped in their free hands, indicated they had just come from church. They weren't without transportation, but Chad Timmons rarely drove unless it was absolutely necessary. He felt closer to God and nature on foot, breathing the fresh air, taking the time to absorb the beauty of creation that surrounded him. The world was on fast forward and few, it seemed, slowed down long enough to actually enjoy the beautiful tapestry that God had so meticulously and lovingly fashioned for mankind. Chad was a lover of art, and God his favored artist. He had no wish nor cause to rush. He squeezed his husband's hand; he had everything he needed right here beside him.

Linus Devereux was an exquisite work of art within himself; God's masterpiece. At twenty-five – five years younger and six inches shorter than Chad – Linus had come from the city where he'd lived his entire life until the fateful day his car broke down on the outskirts of this little town. Chad had come to his rescue, and fallen in love with the younger man upon first sight. Through Chad, Linus began to see the beauty and wonder around him. On what his disapproving family and friends called a "foolish whim", he had forsaken his life in the city and moved out here to be with Chad. He had never looked back, nor regretted his choices. Within two short months, they were married and living in bliss.

It was unclear to Chad if he had believed in fairytale love before Linus came along. He certainly didn't "disbelieve" the existence of such. But Linus was evidence that it was all true and available to anyone who left their heart open to love.

"You're unusually quiet this fine lovely morning." Chad squeezed his hand again and smiled down at him. "Meditating on the sermon?"

"No," Linus sighed, then offered his own smile. He had the most endearing smile Chad had ever seen on a man. Of course, he realized he might be just a smidgeon biased when it came to Linus. "I was just wondering how they can couple their love of God with their despite of us. Don't they understand that when God says to love one another, He means everyone? Not just the ones they deem lovable or acceptable?"

"It should be obvious," Chad nodded. "Sadly, not enough of God's people allow His love to shine through."

Linus looked ahead, falling silent. The hard soles of their dress shoes crunched the dried maple leaves that drifted down from the brittle limbs above and settled on the shoulder of the road to quickly wilt into the slush. Though it was nearly noon, frost glistened the dead leaves and foliage. Chad favored this time of year; all the changing colors, the sparkling frost that glittered like diamonds in the sunlight that gave off very little heat. The crispness of the air made it feel clean; not that the air out here in their little neck of the woods ever truly felt "dirty".