Chapter One

"...so I was just wondering... Would you like to go out sometime?" asked Dave casually, leaning against Aurora's locker.

"No thanks. It was kind of you to ask." murmured Aurora. "Would you mind moving so I can get to my locker?"

"Hard luck bro!" called some guy strolling past. Dave smirked at Aurora, and shook his head knowingly.

"Playing hard to get, are we?"

"No." said Aurora curtly. "Can you stand somewhere else?"

"Not unless you agree to go out with me."

Dave reached out his muscly arms and made to pull Aurora towards him, but Aurora fled in the nick of time, flattening herself against the opposite wall and sinking to the floor.

"Don't touch me." she whimpered.

"I know you want it." sneered Dave.

"Hey, stop that. She doesn't like it."

Aurora looked up in surprise, then quickly hid her face in her knees. It was the guy from this morning, who had shamelessly touched her.

"Dude, you're one to talk. I heard you touched her this morning."

"What's up with that?"

"She's like, allergic to touch, man. You've got nerve touching her without even knowing her name. Unlike me. We're close. She's the only one who she lets touch her."

"Doesn't seem that way."

Dave flicked his blonde hair back.

"What do you know, newbie?"

The dark-haired boy contemplated for a moment. Then he turned to Aurora, and crouched down next to her, being sure not to touch her.

"Hey." he said quietly. "I'm sorry for touching you this morning.

Aurora didn't look up, burying her face in her arms.

"You'll be okay. I'm Lucas. What's your name?"

Dave snorted, and mumbled something critical, but reluctantly, Aurora drew her face away from her limbs.

"I'm Aurora." she whispered, not meeting his eyes.

"Just like the princess." he smiled, and Aurora smiled back, her clear blue eyes meeting his.

"Sure. Only I don't have a Prince Charming."

~~~

Aurora

"A glooming peace this morning with it brings;

The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:

Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;

Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:

For never was a story of more woe

Than this of Juliet and her Romeo."

As the play drew to a close, the curtains met, and we all rushed to centre-stage to take our final bows. We joined hands as the curtains yet again slid open... Or at least they did. I, Aurora, stood in the very centre, still in Juliet's flowing white dress, avoiding Tom's (who played Romeo) grasp nervously.

"You did great, Aurora." muttered Tom, his breath brushing against my cheek. I almost winced. I loved drama club, but Tom was way too keen on all the stage kissing, hugging, holding hands... Not my thing. For sure. I managed to get out of the kissing in Romeo and Juliet this term, and still landed the lead role. I dipped down into another curtsy as the rest of the cast bowed. Suddenly, I caught a pair of eyes in the audience. What did your grandmother say? I reminded myself sharply. No looking at the audience, concentrate on the wall behind them. But I couldn't draw my eyes away from the shining hazel ones that smiled from the audience. Blinking heavily, I nearly jumped as I realised that the other actors were already leaving the stage.