“I’m sorry,” Grayson grumbles softly, getting on his hands with a towel. “I’ll clean it up.”

“Why on earth did you use the orange bucket?! It’s bleach! I told you to clean the theater with the red one!!!”

I look at Grayson from where I’m standing, and I can tell that his man has total control over Grayson. Grayson must be pretty desperate.

“I’m sorry,” he repeats, and I can tell that he’s trying to hold everything in. “I’ll clean it up and replace your carpet.”

The man stares at Grayson for a bit. “It’ll be coming out of your paycheck. I’ll give you your last one today.”

I suddenly feel really bad. Like I had drowned a unicorn.

“I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay.” Grayson mumbles, picking up the dead rat by its tail. “My fault for not using the red bucket.”

“How did you confuse this with red, though?” I stare at the bright orange bucket. “You blind?”

He mumbles something incoherent, and I ask him to repeat it. “What?”

“I’m colorblind,” he says a little louder, but not by much. “Don’t go around telling anyone.”

Colorbind?

Well, that explains why everything he wears is black.

“I’ll help you pay him back,” I stated, jumping down from the counter. “I’ll go get a job and I’ll pay you back, because I dropped the bucket and turned the whole carpet whit—  Grayson what will happen if we just bleached the whole carpet oh my Lord that’s an amazing idea I am SO SMART JUST LIKE JUSTYDUCK!”

Grayson stares at me like I have three nostrils. “Excuse me?”

“Justyduck!” I stated proudly, smiling widely. “Justin’s hair was sticking up like Daffy Ducks’ today, and I called him Justyduck…Just a duck! I AM SO SMART!”

“More like Just a dick…” Grayson mumbles.

I hold in a laugh as I spread the bleach around. “Grayson, that’s not nice.”

“Neither is he.”

“Not to you, maybe. But today, he took me to see a movie! He got me whatever I wanted!” I squeal, rubbing bleach into a blank spot. “He let me watch the Smurfs again and he bought me an actual can of coke and he even got me popcorn with extra butter!”

Grayson’s face hardens, and I know that he’s thinking about all the times I’ve asked him for extra butter.

“And in the theater…” I lean in closer to Grayson, lowering my voice. “He tried to hold hands with me, and got scared. But then he kissed me!”

Grayson must have developed a case of whiplash, because his neck suddenly spazzes. “Huh?!”

“He kissed me,” I repeated, biting my lip and smiling. “I don’t know what it means, though, because after the movie ended, he left,” I pouted. “God, I finally told someone!” Man, it feels good to finally tell someone about what happened in the theater!

“Oh.” was his reply. “Wasn’t Jordan with you?” he deadpans.

“Yeah!” I smile even wider. “He’s such a sweetie. But why did Justin pull his hand away if he wanted to kiss me?” I pout. “I don’t get it.”

“I don’t want to talk about Justin,” Grayson snaps, and gets up. “Leave me alone.”

I stare after him as he walks into the back room. What was his problem?