Chapter 5

Grayson’s POV

The silver lake really is beautiful. It’s out in the middle of nowhere, in the redwood forest clearing. The water’s always cold, and it’s such a pretty color. I haven’t seen anyone out here before, so I’ve taken it as my own. There’s always a haze of fog around here, and the redwood trees surrounding me makes it smell like heaven.

So I’m sitting by the silver lake, smoking and minding my own business, right?

That little bitchsquealer comes running out of the forest, screaming, and screams again when he sees me.

Well, there goes my nap.

“What are you doing here?!” Blaire screeches, and it takes all of my willpower to not push him into the lake.

“What am I doing here?! What are you doing here, you fucker?” I snap, tapping out my cigarette. “Go away.”

Blaire stares at me for a second, then runs over, grabs my motherfucking cigarette out of my hands and throws it into the lake.

I sit in silence for a minute, stunned, until I realized that my hard-earned money is now sitting at the bottom of a lake.

You bitchsquealer!” I lunge for Blaire, who yelps away, escaping from my grasp.

“SMOKING IS BAD FOR YOUR LUNGS!” Blaire screeches as I chase him around the lake. “YOU’RE GOING TO DIEEEE!”

That little fucker threw my cigarette away! Doesn’t he know that they’re fucking expensive?!

“FUCK OFF!” I grab him by the waist, and for a second, I forget how mad I am at him when I feel that soft skin on his tummy.

He looks down at me with his wide silver eyes, scared, I suppose.

Instantly, it’s gone, and the feeling of anger returns.

I stare at him for a bit longer, until I can’t stand it anymore. I don’t want to kiss him. But I do.

I set him down and flip him off, taking out my lighter and relighting another cigatrette. “Fuck off.”

Blaire glares at me, then takes a step towards the lake. I’m unsure of what he was doing until it was too late.

He gets a mouthful of water, and spits it out on my lighter.

Now it’s unusuable.

“YOU MOTHERFUCKIN’ HOE! COME BACK HE—“

“DON’T HURT HIM!”

The gayer-than-Ricky-Martin boy comes out and grabs Blaire by the shoulder, sheltering him as if Blaire was his little boy. “Don’t hurt him!” Justin repeats, snapping at me.

“Then tell your boyfriend to lay off my fucking cigarettes. These cost money!” I growl, then turn back to the lake. “Go away!”

Justin and Blaire both stand there for an eternity and a half while I wallow over my lighter, throwing it into the lake with a splash. “Blaire’s not my boyfriend,” Justin says stubbornly.

“Come on, Blaire,” Justin says at last, holding out his hand. “Let’s go.”

I can hear them walking back into the forest as the fog rolls in, and at that point, I’m too angry to take my nap.

Whatever.

That fucker’s gonna get what’s coming to him.

Blaire’s POV

“Smoking KILLS! I SWEAR TO GOD, GRAYSON WAS SMOKING!”

Jordan’s sitting on…his bed, putting on some mascara. “Well, Grayson will be Grayson. Don’t mess with him, babe. It’s only going to go for the worst.”

“But I hate smokers!” I kicked at the frame of Jordan’s bed as he…she…combed…his hair.

“You are a guy, right?” I asked.

Jordan looks at me funny. “I’m thinking about it. I assume so, but I’m not ready to make the decision just yet.”

Oh. “Okay.” I’m silent for a bit before I burst out talking again. “I don’t want to see Grayson rot his lungs out!”

“Why do you care?” Jordan suddenly says, putting on his red shirt. “He doesn’t even like you! He treats you like you’re the shit at the bottom of his shoe.”

I sat on Jordan’s floor. He had a point.

“HEEELLLLLOOOOO!” Brookie suddenly trolls in through the door of Jordan’s room, flaunting a black Hot Topic bag. “I bought makeup!”

Jordan and Brookie suddenly start squealing over makeup as I sit there, staring at the poster of Green Day on Jordan’s wall.

He had a point.

Why did I care?

Brookie’s POV

It’s not like I was out shoplifting or anything.

Right?

I sat there and watched as Blaire stared at the poster of Green Day on the wall, ignoring me and Jordan’s cry for new eyeliner and eyeshadow.

“What were you talking about earlier?” I lowered my voice and leaned into Jordan’s ear. Jordan flapped my blond hair away from his face and winced.

“Your hair’s itchy.” He sighs. “Blaire was talking about how he didn’t want to see Grayson smoking, and that he tried to stop it.”

Wait. “But why should he care?” I asked, taking out a bottle of teal nail polish.

Wait.

That makes sense.

Maybe Blaire likes Grayson!

“What if Blaire likes Grayson?” I whisper, looking at Blaire, who’s still lost in his thoughts.

Jordan’s eyes suddenly flash. “Oh my God, girl! You’re right!”

We immediately look each other in the eye at the same time and smirk.

Matchmaking time!