2. Bears Will Be Bears

Start from the beginning

I run for several minutes before my ribs begin to throb, I slow down and hunch over holding my ribs and breathing through my nose. Softly breathing in and out trying to help soothe my aching muscles and throbbing rib cage. I slowly stand up straight, looking around the area. I pull out my phone noticing I'm still several miles from Nick's house. I dial the captain's office phone before waiting and praying he won't be too upset.
The captain answers the phone on the fourth ring.
"Hello."
"Hey Captain. I was wondering if you're willing to pick me up at the park closest to Hildebrand Road? I gave my car to Nick and told him to leave when I was staying and talking to a friend." I say softly.
"I'll be on my way. I should be there in 10 to 15 minutes." He says, sighing. I can almost see his frown and the disappointment shining in his eyes.
"Thanks Captain."
"I would also like to hear why you are up and moving as much as you are and why you insisted on giving Nick your car." He responds before uttering a goodbye and hanging up.
I close my eyes as I realize that not only have I probably gained more desk duty, I've probably earned myself a speech from the captain. Sighing heavily before softly finding a bench and carefully walking over and sitting down and trying not to irritate my ribcage.
I pull out my phone and send a quick message to Nick.

Nick, called captain for a ride. Text me if you gain any more information on Jagerbars. If you need any help call me, I'm good at talking to people who won't be able to do any 'field' work. But I know you have difficulty talking to people without demanding answers, so research and possible interviews I can help with. Love you bro.
-Angela

I hit send and lean back against the bench waiting for Captain Renard to pull up. I gently close my eyes listening to the leaves blowing in the wind and the chirping of birds in nearby trees. For several minutes I sit there and bask in the sun, I hear a car door shut several feet away from the bench. I slowly pull my eyes open to see Captain Renard walking briskly over to me.
I lean up and begin standing up, I hiss in pain as my ribs throb angrily. The captain hurriedly rushes to my side and help me stand properly while taking some weight off my side.
"Thanks." I whimper softly.
"You should be more careful. What if I decided to make you stay out here and learn from the choice you made, you'd be in more pain then you already are." He says frowning down at me. Captain Renard helps me into the passenger seat, before gently closing my door. He gets into the drivers seat while I carefully pull on my seatbelt.
"Sorry, Captain. It's just that Nick needed my help talking to my friend, and I know how Nick can be sometimes and would rather help ease any tension that might come about, then deal with any fights or arguments. Nick needed to leave and we only took my car so I let Nick use it to get wherever he went." I hurriedly tried to explain everything.
"Deep breaths, Angela. You're going to strain yourself and make your ribs hurt more if you keep speaking so fast." He says gently while calmly putting a hand on my shoulder. I take several deep breaths before softly smiling at him.
"Thanks." I whisper.
"You're welcome. You can call me Sean when we're not at work." He says before turning and starting the car.
"OK, Sean." I smile softly, liking the idea of calling him Sean outside of work. My phone beeps with a text message alert.

Hey, I'm at the hospital talking to Marie. She says traditional jagerbars do the Roh-Hatz which is a rite of passage from boy to man, they do it at sunset. It's a chase that leads to death. Love you too sis.
-Nick

After reading the text message I sigh softly, turning my head to look out the window as Sean drives me home. As Sean pulls up to my apartment, I softly smile at him.
"Thanks for the ride, Sean." I say before pulling open my door. Sean quickly shuts off his car before quickly heading over to help me out of his SUV. He helps me to my apartment door before glancing down at me, he looks deep in thought before clearing his throat and turning to look at my door.
"Well, you're safe at home now. I should be going back to the station and you should head to bed and heal before I add more days off and add even more desk duty to your time."
"Yeah I will. Thanks for coming to get me and driving me home, and helping me to my door. It means a lot to me and I will rest. See you at work, Sean." I say softly before quickly unlocking my door and rushing into my apartment. I shut the door quickly, I lean against the door trying to calm my unsteady heartbeat.
I sigh softly wondering what is causing my heart to beat so fast and why it feels like I fell out of a plane.
-