Chapter 26 - The Nightmare Begins

Start from the beginning

He cupped my face in his palms and kissed me, easing me back onto the blankets. His gaze smoldered as he looked down at me, and I could feel the rigid pressure of his erection nudging at the side of my hip where he'd stretched out beside me.

-"You're a special woman, Ana. More special than you know."

I blushed as I looked up into his eyes, startled by the sincerity in his voice.

-"So what happens now ...?" I whispered, his face was so close to mine that our hot breathes mingled together.

-"We live happily ever after." He said firmly his thumb smoothing over my furrowed brow.

-"For some reason I don't see that in my future." I replied without much thought, but after it was said I wished I hadn't said it out loud.

-"What do you mean?"

His hand moved from my forehead to my stomach. He set his hand down and I stared at fingers, which gently stroked my skin. I kept my eyes on his index finger with a small cross tattoo on it until my eyesight blurred with tears.

Fear. I felt the most imaginable fear ever. I was terrified of what my future held, of what would happen. All the breath seemed to squeeze out of my lungs in that instant.

-"Nothing ... I just - please forget I said that—"

-"Ana ... Please elaborate on what you mean, is it because of what happened in the forests last night?" He spoke with a gentle patience, coaxing my trust.

And God help me, I felt ready to open myself up to him. Even though everyone in my life had somehow betrayed me, by all means I should not want this but my heart said otherwise, it knew that for some reason I could trust Zak, and it really was time that I did so.

-"It's okay, Ana. You can tell me anything."

I closed my eyes, feeling the awful word rise up like acid in my throat.

-"I can't," I murmured. "If I tell you ... trust you, then you'll have the means to hurt me."

-"You can't spend your life running." Zak said, something haunted crept into his voice. A sadness and resignation that told me he understood that trust was a hard one for me, but that he also understood the burden that rested on my shoulders. "Closing people out, refusing to trust anyone just makes you more alone, Ana."

-"No, it doesn't." I lied, but even as I said those words I felt compelled to tell him. I held his imploring stare and found the courage I needed in the steely strength of his eyes. "I am not sure I am strong enough to do what Keane wants me to do ... I don't even know what I'm supposed to do. How can the whole world's fate rest on me?"

Zak caressed me carefully as I struggled for the words that came next.

-"I lost my dad to this strange supernatural world ... hell I lost a whole family that I never knew I had, but my dad ... he was everything to me, and it was all a lie. I don't understand why." I closed my eyes at the word. I sat up, my heart thudding oddly in my breast, heavy with a wary sense of expectation. "Why do I have to be the one that can go into this place where the dead are? It's awful! People who are waiting for someone they love that will never come? Why me Zak?"

-"Sometimes there are no reasons. Sometimes things happen and there's nothing we can do to make sense of them. Life, and death, isn't always neat or logical."

-"It's not fair." I murmured. "I just wanted a normal life ... a house with a white picket fence, kids, and a loving husband ... but now ..."

Zak's hand stilled.