( 34 ) Enough is Enough

( 34 ) – Enough is Enough

Leana Adams

"Hey, hon, are you visiting Jason?" Mom asked as soon as she saw me heading to the garage. It was nearing midnight, yet she was still sitting in the living room with a laptop and a hot mug of coffee at hand. Seemed like she's gonna pull an all-nighter again tonight.

"Yep." I looked into my compact mirror and applied a fresh coat of gloss on my lips. "Since Len returned, he had been hogging my brother. I think it's about time he returns Len to us."

Mom laughed at my theatrics, but it was visible in her eyes. Raw pain. Worry. She knew. We both knew. There was something more behind Len's disappearances than he would let on. What kind of high schooler would even had the guts to go country-hopping anyway? True, Len was smart enough to be in University so skipping classes wouldn’t do him harm. The Adams had the means to spend extravagantly, but that still didn't explain Len's sudden desire to see the world. My twin was never one ask for anything. That was, until last year.

Len always did things on his own. He was special. Everyone knew and accepted that he was different. Not only physically and mentally, but he was worth more than I could ever fathom, in more ways than one. That's why when he begged to be allowed to travel, our family could not say no. It was the only time he had ever asked us anything. How could we stop him? And now that he was back, he had a lot of explaining to do. At least, as a family, I think we deserve it.

"Don't push him to hard, hon," my mom said as soon as I stepped out of the door, her voice soft, as if she didn't really want me to hear her words. "If he needs us, he'll come around."

"Of course, mom. Just want to check on him, hang out for a while. Nothing dramatic."

My mother believed me, but I couldn't speak for myself. I knew Len more than he thought possible, because duh, we are twins. He was as hard-headed as the diamond stud in my shoe, the one that I used to scratch that bitch Naomi's lovely Mustang. Or maybe worse. He would never, ever, admit to anyone his insecurities and problems. He might open up a bit to Jason, but he would never truly let on the whole truth about the matters he considered private. Unless someone pushed him.

That would be my role tonight.

It was eerie. The silence of the drive towards the Greene's had never been like this, I swear. Did his neighbors go bunkers or something? Was there a Hollywood actor shooting within the area? Like, why was his street deserted? To think about it, why was the security ten times multiplied inside his gates?

Suspicious.

"State your business, miss," one guard grunted as I slid my window open. "Name and ID?"

I daintily brushed my bangs away from my face. Doesn't this dude recognize me? "Excuse me. I'm a friend."

The guard murmured on a hand-held device before regarding me with cold eyes. "No visitors allowed."