15-Patronus Part II

Start from the beginning

Just as he spoke, he gently squeezed Sephy's shoulder. It was the lightest touch, but Sephy felt it right through her body. She determinedly shrugged it off.

"I've got another lesson with Merrythought tonight" Halley was saying, now Nashville was gone. "Patronus stuff."

"You still haven't taught me how to do that" Sirius pointed out accusingly. Halley shrugged.

"There's nothing to teach. It's all positive thinking and a little bit of luck" she sighed.

"And being an extremely powerful witch" Samantha cut in slyly. They all laughed as Halley blushed.

"I'd better go, guys. Merrythought won't like me being late."

Scrambling up, Halley made her way, wand in pocket, to Merrythought's office, where she knocked sharply. The response was even sharper. The door flew open to reveal Merrythought at her desk, looking fierce.

"Miss Derwent" she smiled thinly. "Good evening. How do you fancy another night of breaking every single student health and safety rule this school has ever put in place?"

It was quite the direct question, but Halley, having been taught by Merrythought for the best part of five years and knowing how the little witch operated, sucked her lip.

"As long as you can promise I won't die" she replied, walking into the room and shutting the door.

Merrythought hissed through her teeth.

"Can't do that, I'm afraid. I'll give you a 50/50 chance of survival." She giggled at Halley's worried expression. "I'm joking. If anything goes wrong, I've told Dumbledore I'm going to die before you do."

Knowing that was the serious part of the bargain, Halley wasn't entirely thrilled by that prospect.

"Right" she said slowly, skipping forward and perching on one of the desks. "So what have you got planned for me?"

"Firstly, Lethifolds" Merrythought nodded briskly, flicking her wand at the blackboard where a short description was scribbled. "Don't bother with that writing. Basically, they're big black flying carpets of death. In all seriousness, if you ever see one, conjure your Patronus, even if it's seemingly not interested in you. They're sly devils, and will sneak up and have you in their clutches in no time."

Halley nodded.

"Right" Merrythought grinned wolfishly. "Part two. It's all well and good you being able to conjure your Patronus in a lovely warm, safe classroom, but how well are you going to do after you're scared out of your wits? Cos chances are, if you ever come face to face with a Dementor or a Lethifold, God forbid, you're going to be slightly frightened, I'll bet you, Miss Derwent."

"Right" Halley agreed nervously. "Yeah. I'd probably be terrified."

"Get your coat, Miss Derwent" Merrythought ordered. "And meet me in the Clock Tower Courtyard in fifteen minutes."

Halley left, slightly frightened and rather concerned. She liked Merrythought, but the old witch was maybe getting a bit mental in her old age. Halley puzzled all the way up to the common room to get her coat and scarf, and then she ran down again to meet Merrythought in the Clock Tower Courtyard. When Halley arrived, the little witch wasn't alone. The looming figure of Hagrid, the Groundskeeper, was there, as well as his dog, Fang, a huge bloodhound.

Suddenly Halley felt just that little bit safer.

"We're going on a little trek tonight" Merrythought announced. "Hagrid here has some business in the Forbidden Forest-"

"Dumbl'dore's orders" the giant of a man butted in. "Nothin' ter worry about."

"Quite" Merrythought agreed. "So I intend to use this opportunity to test your nerve, Miss Derwent. We will accompany Hagrid into the Forest, and attempt a Patronus once inside. Any questions?"