Chapter Thirteen ~ In Which We Confess the Pain We Share

Charlotte's POV

♦ ♦ ♦

I had made the silent walk to the little chapel on the edge of main just in time to see the mid-day Saturday mass begin to disperse into the breezy fall air. It had been, if I recall correctly, two and a half months since Erik's disappearance and the beginning of a new musical career for L'Aria. The once dismal House was now flooded with music and a small handful of faithful, new patrons that we seemed to have pleased with our introduction of Carmen.

I made my way inside the church, nodding kindly at a few older dwellers of Valence as they walked past with reverence in their grey eyes. I smiled, taken in by the warmth of the mahogany pews and the lit candles that stood as small beacons at the altar.

A young boy, about the age of fourteen, stood near one of the candle rows. His nimble fingers struck another match, taking the burning stick to some incense that wafted mind-numbing scents of frankincense and rose of Sharon. I made my way to him, smiling softly as he turned.

He was tall for his age, having filled out much faster than many other boys. His hair was in straight, blonde locks that were cut close to his head and kept off his ears and back collar. His eyes, a darling baby blue always seemed so tired but so eager to me. Much like the eyes of my husband.

"Hello, Madame Charlotte. Have you a message for our friend?" He asked, his accent thick and protruding from his tongue.

"Good afternoon, Andrew. I do indeed." I slipped a small envelope from my bag and handed it to the young man. "Be extra careful with this one please. It has some important news within it that I would hate to see fall into the wrong hands."

Andrew nodded and gave me a smile, "Of course, Madame. I have something for you. Please, follow me."

I walked alongside Andrew who took me to one of the back prayer rooms. There a hooded figure sat in the pews, his head facing one of the religious shrines that sat at the front. He was bathed in the darkness of the room, the candle light dancing off his hood with an eerily, non-religious expression to it. There appeared to be nothing sacred in the figure. The contrast made a shiver run up my spine.

"Andrew?" I whispered.

The boy nodded for me to move forward. Hesitantly, I obeyed.

"Take the seat behind me." A voice struck through the room.

Again I obeyed and sat down promptly behind the figure. "Do you wish to tell me who you are or what you want?"

"Charlotte..."

I knew the voice instantly. My heart leap into my throat, "Erik--"

"Shh, one mustn't make known our acquaintance. How is the House? Hugo? The people?" He asked.

"They are all well, very much so. The House has come into some standing in the last two months. People want to see more. More scandalous nature. More humanity. More tragedy," I said.

I saw his head nod, "That's the trick, my dear. Show the people their own humanity without letting them know you're tugging right at them. Targeting their very flaws. Ideally, the ancients said it made you more human. I say common fun house tricks." He chuckled gently before continuing. "I have made you two more scores. Or rather I have transposed them for our use. You may take them and use them. Hugo knows them well, I promise. If he tries to trick you, tell him I have insisted that they be played. Do you understand?"

"Yes. Of course. Thank you, Erik. This means so--"

Footsteps began to echo from the chapel outside and a small discourse began to arise between Andrew and another man. Quickly, I bowed my head and acted in prayer.