Even Forever Must End

A smile stretched across my face as the morning sun lit up the room. The purity of morning was one of the small things I love in life.

I heard a groan beside me and shifted my head to see William desperately trying to push a pillow over his face.

I laughed and he shot me a glare.

It had been ten years since we were reunited in the flower shop. And we had gotten married in Hawaii three years after. I had never been more happy and for once, my life felt complete.

A little while after I chose immortality, I became miserable. It was the worst decision I had ever made. The loneliness had swarmed around me and my life no longer felt worth living.

But now that I have William, I'm not lonely anymore. Having him by my side makes me feel normal again. Like I was actually human, falling in love and taking risks.

But there were still the odd days where the aspect of forever would scare us, and we'd have to keep ourselves busy to save us from going insane.

I pulled the duvet off my legs and climbed out of bed, feeling my limbs bend and creak as I stretched.

I quickly got changed and made my way to the kitchen to make myself a cup of tea.

William and I still lived in apartments. We moved every three years, and so didn't see the point in owning a house. It meant we always lived in a small place, but it was cosy and I liked it.

Just then, William walked out of the bedroom dressed in casual clothes with unkempt hair.

I smiled at the way it stuck out in all directions, no matter how hard he tried to flatten it.

"You want some tea?" I asked him, pulling out a cup for myself.

"No, I'm alright." He replied. "I've got to head out now anyway."

"But you're not working today." I answered confused.

"Yeah I know. I got extra errands to run." He explained half heartedly. "See you later?"

I sighed with a nod and he smiled before grabbing an apple and heading out the door.

This had been happening a lot lately. He would work hard all week and then disappear during the weekends. I hardly ever saw him anymore.

We were close, and up until a few weeks ago, we were stronger than ever. But now we almost seem to be drifting apart.

I could tell he was keeping something from me, but I couldn't work out what. And the secrecy was killing me.

I decided to ignore it and ask him about it later. Today, I had to plan the next country for us to visit.

~

That night, William arrived home later than usual. I had been reading my book when he had walked in looking tired and defeated. He made his way over to the sofa and collapsed into it, letting his shoulders hunch forward and his head rest in his hands.

"How was your day?" He asked.

"Alright." I replied. "It's almost time for us to leave again. How does Australia sound to you?"

He sniggered slightly.  "Aren't you afraid of the snakes?"

I smiled and shook my head. "I'm not exactly a little girl anymore."

We both laughed dryly until it died down to an awkward silence.

He turned and looked at me seriously. "Do you believe in recarnation?" He asked.