Being A Hufflepuff

Roxanne stared at her, her most favorite aunt, with wide eyes with her heart practically beating out of her chest. "You're being hunted down?" was all Roxanne could muster.

Lyra nodded. "Yes. All Animagi are. I'm not registered as one by the Ministry because the day I was going to register, the first kidnapping occurred."

"How do you know you're going to get attacked?"

But before Lyra could answer her question, Professor Longbottom came out of the Great Hall with a first year Slytherin student that looked like it vomited all over his robes. "Ah, Professor Malfoy. Oh, and Roxanne, too. Good to see you. Could you help me escort this young man to the Hospital Wing?"

"Yes, of course," Lyra said giving Roxanne's arm a tight squeeze. "We'll talk more later. Please, not a word."

"But-" It was no use, Lyra was already gone. 

Her appetite diminished and she couldn't go back to the loud Great Hall so she decided to call it a day and get settled back in the Hufflepuff Basement. The way there was entirely muscle memory and Roxanne smiled when she reached the entrance. However, when she arrived, she saw what looked to be a first year Hufflepuff doused in vinegar. Unlike the three other Houses, a verbal password is not required to enter the Hufflepuff dormitory. Instead, the students must tap a specific rhythm on the wooden barrels in front of the entrance, in the rhythm of "Helga Hufflepuff." If the rhythm is wrong, the student will be drenched in vinegar and won't be able to try again unless another student with the correct rhythm does it. 

"Are you alright?" Roxanne said, going to her knees and tending to the crying first year. 

In between sobs, the girl said, "I-I can't even. Tap a stupid code onto wood. I'm, not... I d-don't belong h-here." 

"Exaresco," Roxanne casted a water evaporation charm, making the girl dry once again. She looked at Roxanne with thankful eyes but she continued to cry. Roxanne gave the girl a small hug and asked, "What's your name, sweetheart?"

"Samaira Bawa."

"Well, Samaira, my name is Roxanne Weasley. And you know what? I messed up all the time for my first year here. Even now, I still get confused. And I'll tell you something: even Professor Sprout, our lovely Head of House, messes up. She'll never admit it, though," Roxanne said, giving Samaira a wink. She first year laughed, wiping away her tears. "There's a smile! Alright, c'mere." Roxanne stood up, holding the girl's hand and helped her up to her feet. She led her to the barrels and took out her wand, an 11 inch Hazel with a Unicorn hair core. 

As she explained, she tapped her wand on the barrel two from the bottom, middle of the second row in the rhythm of "Helga Hufflepuff." The entrance lid swung open, exposing a passageway that leads to the basement. 

Samaira gasped and her eyes twinkled at Roxanne who have her a little chuckle. "Thank you so much, Miss Weasley!"

"Ah, you can call me Roxanne. And, Samaria, I want you to know that there is no shame in asking for help."

And with that, Samaria gave Roxanne a very tight hug before running off to her dorm room. Roxanne chuckled and ducked as she entered the Hufflepuff Basement. She could have sworn that last year she didn't have to duck into the entrance. The smell of the freshly made dessert from the kitchen right next to them filled the air making her wish she at least stayed for some treats. But it was alright because Lolli, a House Elf that befriended all Hufflepuffs, comes in at midnight with a tray filled with leftovers. It is against the rules but Sprout also takes advantage of the midnight snack so it was Hufflepuff's own delicious little secret.

The full moon was up, embarking a beautiful blue glow into the Basement. It was probably the House Pride talking, but Roxanne thinks that the Basement is the most beautiful and peaceful dormitory. Gryffindor was too red, too intense and a bit too warm. Ravenclaw was too overwhelming with the great shelves of book and its prestigious architecture. Slytherin was too dark and musky, their only light source being the green hues from the great stain glass window.