Part 9

Just Breathe

In

Out

Inhale

Exhale

Nothing could help Allie's nerves in this moment. She was shaking like a leaf floating down to the earth, and her nails hurt from the nervous biting. Gavin had tried comforting her, whispering encouraging words in her ear but to no avail.

There's no way for her to calm down, not in this moment. Mrs. Monte asked Allie and Gavin to come after school for the auditions and they quickly agreed. Without hesitation.

But now that she is here, standing in front of Mrs. Monte, she wishes she had shook her head like her life depended on it. Albeit, the room is only filled with the talent show director, Gavin, and herself, but it felt full, Alive. Or maybe it's Mrs. Monte's enthusiastic personality.

"Ah Ms. Wright! Nice of you to audition, we could always use more talent at Marshall Heights!" A bubbly laugh escaped her lips.

Allie shyly smiled, but it looked more like a grimace.

"Well the stage is all yours!" She gestures to the stage. Allie stared for a few moments, remembering the feeling, the pure exhilaration she felt when she was on stage the first time. That pure happiness, like she had already followed her dreams, but she had only just begun.

There's no backing out now. I just have to go up there, and pretend like I'm the only one in the room. Breathe, relax. What's the worst that could happen?

Oh, I don't know, Mrs. Monte could say I'm not good enough for the talent show!

Ugh, here I go with the bad, self-doubting thoughts again.

Ignoring her inner commentary, Allie walks up the steps and onto the stage. Her nerves are still on end, and the same feeling of her lungs tightening makes her take longer, deeper breaths. She does the first thing she can think of, looks over at Gavin. He is staring up at Allie with a proud gleam in his eyes, and the widest smile on his lips. The way he is looking at her makes a warmth spread through her chest, and she feels a bit better. Seeing his encouraging smile and nod, she gathers her courage.

Just like last time, she stutters and mutters on the first few lyrics but as her music fills her ears she becomes more confident. Her mouth stretches into a smile as the lyrics roll off her tongue. Her voice is smooth and gentle, like it could break any minute.

Mrs. Monte has the most shocked face anyone has ever seen, with her mouth agape and eyes wide like saucers. She couldn't believe that Allie has such an amazing voice, but then again, no one could possibly know a quiet girl like her has such great vocals. Allie's voice is soft, like a whisper lost in the wind. The lyrics are beautiful, and have enough intensity to enrapture an entire crowd.

When the lyrics come to an end, she smiles happily to herself.

That was definitely worth all the nerves and near panic attacks.

Allie smiled at Mrs. Monte, but the teacher didn't even blink. In fact, the multi-purpose room was silent. You could hear pin drops. Or crickets chirp animatedly from the seats. A feeling of regret fluttered through her chest and mouth became as dry as the Sahara Desert.

Why did I even—?

"That!" Mrs. Monte began, her voice high and squeaky, "Was amazing!"

Allie was shocked for a moment, before the teacher's words registered in her mind. A large grin stretched on her lips and she felt like she was on top of the world. She felt that same rush of exhilaration, the feeling that she has conquered the world.

In a way, she had conquered her world.

No, Gavin helped conquer my world.

Allie was smiling widely on stage, her feet shuffling back in forth.

Mrs. Monte is jumping around, shrieks escaping her lips as she clutches Gavin's arm. He didn't seem to care as he stared at Allie with amazement and awe. His eyes focused solely on her, like nothing else mattered. And at that moment, nothing else mattered to him. He felt genuinely happy because he is part of the reason she is happy.

Allie walked down from the stage, walking slowly to them. Before she could react, she found herself wrapped in Mrs. Monte's tentacle like arms. The teacher rocked them back and forth, squeezing her tightly. Allie almost choked from the tight hold, but she softy patted her arm. Allie was a whirlwind of emotions: happy, excited, and thankful. She was happy because she thought she would never be able to do what she did. Excited because this experience makes her want to go farther,  maybe even try singing in a crowd. But most of all thankful, thankful that she was able to follow her dreams. She is also thankful for Gavin, for helping her be able to do this. Allie doesn't know where she would be if Gavin didn't walk into that practice room.

"You are such a great singe Allie, of course you can be in the talent show!" The teacher unraveled her hands from Allie.

Allie was shocked, and so excited. She felt like crying, screaming, and squealing in excitement all at the same time.

"Thank you so much Mrs. Monte!" Pure excitement laced her tone and the teacher smiled at her.

"No problem! I love showing new talent, and you my darling, have that" The teacher picked up her purse off the seat close to her, throwing it over her shoulder, "now I have to get going. Can you two close the doors when you leave?"

Allie nodded, it was the least she could do. The teacher smiled at them one last time before turning and walking out of the multi-purpose room with a skip in her step.

For the first time, Allie turns her head and glances at Gavin. He is already staring at her, with a proud gleam in his eye.

"Allie that was amazin--" Before he could finish his sentence she launched herself forward into his arms. He caught her, taking a few unexpected steps back. She buried her face into his shoulder, hugging him closer. He wrapped his arms around her with equal force.

"Thank you Gavin, I couldn't have done it without you" She mumbled lightly into his shirt. She knew he had heard her by the soft squeeze of his arms tightening around her.

He didn't say anything, but he didn't have to. They were both happy. Nothing could ruin the way they felt in that moment. She couldn't help but notice that when she thought everything was falling apart, it was actually falling together. She never would have thought she would be asking a stranger for help in this area of her life, but she knows it was the best decision she has ever made.

______________________________________

Whoo!! Long chapter. Please vote, comment, and follow! Thank you to everyone for all the lovely support!