Chapter 23 ~ Dilly Dally Shilly Shally

Start from the beginning

You eyed him, not really sure of what to say. ''You know, you've grown a lot,'' he started, not really looking into your eyes. ''Your still pretty small but... I dunno. When we first met, you wouldn't even speak to anyone and now, your making friends with guys fighting for you. Bet you never thought you'd come this far, considering all you ever wanted was to kill that bastard. Still do I suppose, yet... you seem stronger than before. You always was but this time, your willing to get close even if you know something bad may happen and everyone comes to hate you.''

You looked at him curiously as his gaze drifted to the pillow, something was bothering him. ''Di-''

''But no matter what, I'll always be there for you, wolf or otherwise,'' his eyes locked onto yours again, devoid of earlier distress.

You didn't get chance to question him as he licked your cheek and nuzzled his head on top of yours; a slight happy growl escaping his throat. You was glad he couldn't see your face as a furious blush took over your face. It didn't help that you now noticed he happened to only be wearing boxers. In the end, you sighed and let sleep consume you.

The next morning, you woke up just like the morning before but without the shock. Dire's arms held you possessively while he slept. Gently, you reached up and brushed the piece of hair that fell into his face. You continued to watch him for a few moments until his murmuring snapped you out of your thoughts.

''...Forgive me, [name].''

Forgive him? Why would Dire want you to forgive him? He hadn't done anything, had he? Questions ran through your mind and something cold began to overtake any warmth you had. No, not cold, a hollow feeling. The emptiness you never wanted to feel again. For some reason, being close to Dire scared you.

You quietly slipped out of his embrace and went for a shower once you picked up a change of clothes. Those three words kept repeating themselves in your mind; it could very well of been a dream but something said otherwise. You was missing something and you knew it, that was what made it so aggravating.

''Oi, don't let your guard down around him,'' sounded Rag from the mirror.

''Hmm? You figured it out?'' you said, turning off the shower and getting out.

''Not quite, I have my suspicions but that's it.''

''Care to run them by me,'' you said once dressed.

''Let's just say I think Dire knew you before you knew him.''

You looked at the mirror where Rag regarded you with a concerned look. You looked away before scoffing; turning back with a smirk, ''Your not going soft on me now, are ya'?''

She sneered, ''Don't bet on it kid, just making sure your body is in peek condition before I take over. Apparently, human depression can damage it badly.''

You rolled your eyes and left. On the bed sat a groggy Dire with hazy eyes, when he saw you, he smiled crookedly and the silver tail flicked back and forth lazily. ''Morning [name],'' he yawned, stretching his arms above his head. It was a nice view to say the least.

''Hey. You feeling okay?'' you peered at him curiously.

''What brought that about? But yeah, I'm fine,'' he frowned.

''Considering it was Kairi, Rinoa and Xion who cursed you, I don't wanna take any risks. Can't you sense how long the spell will last?'' 'You should be able to tell,' you thought, but didn't say.

The silverette thought for a moment before shrugging, ''Nope, can't tell a thing. I'll tell you if I start to feel funny though.''

''Okay,'' you said simply and walked out as your partner stared at you.