Chapter 22//: How about Addi?

Start from the beginning

As Addaline talks about this, Tara is furiously writing on the piece of paper. I listen to Addaline as she suggests more things to include in the invitation.

"Done!" Tara exclaims as she sighs and dramatically throws her pen to the table. Addaline and I jump at the sound and Tara smiles at us sheepishly.

"Sorry. I've always seen people do that in movies, and I couldn't resist the urge."

I giggle at this just as a knock comes from my door.

All of us look at the door with surprise and curiosity. Tara turns to look at me and mouths Are you expecting someone? I shake my head no.

Another knock comes from the door, and I push myself off of my bed as I make my way to the door. I timidly open it but sigh in relief as I see it's just Ahren.

"Ahren? What are you doing here?" I ask him as I open the door fully. Behind me, I hear the swish of skirts. I glance behind me to see Tara and Addaline curtsying to Ahren. I turn back to him and shrug.

"I would curtsy, but I might as well just trip on my skirts."

Ahren smiles in amusement at me as he turns to Tara and Addaline. "Ladies. I would like to talk to Madison alone," Ahren tells them. Tara and Addaline's eyes widen as they look back at me. Then, they quickly scurry out the open door.

Ahren closes the door behind them and turns to face me. I rock on one foot to the next as I stare at the floor. Finally, I can't take the silence anymore.

"What do you want to talk about?"

Ahren has a look of thought on his face as he completely ignores my question and states something completely random: "I think I need to call you a nickname."

I blink at him.

Once.

Twice.

Then, I roll my eyes at him. "That was completely random. If you want to call me a nickname, just call me Madi," I tell him.

Ahren smiles at me as he shakes his head. "No, that's what everyone calls you. I've been thinking about it, and I think I came up with the perfect nickname. How about Addi?"

I start at those words as I look up at him. Those words....he had said those words to me years ago.

****FLASHBACK****

I stand in the shadows of the colorful, clustered shops in the market. Next to me, Nathie stands there looking like a shadow. His long, black hair as dark as midnight can barely be seen while his bright blue eyes are the only things clearly visible.

"Addi." He calls out to me. I turn towards him. "Yeah, Nathie?"

He stays silent until he faces me. "Addi, you have to understand that you have to fend for yourself. You can't depend on anyone, only yourself. You need to learn that right now," he tells me in his silky voice unheard of from a 12 year old.

I'm about to ask what he means by that when he suddenly pushes me out into the open, making me crash into a passing Silver merchant.

I back away from the merchant as he turns around to face me. His dark eyes flash to my hands entangled in the straps of his bag, and his face darkens as he grabs my wrist in a strong grip, making sure I can not escape.

I let out a cry as the man tugs me towards a Security Guard stationed close by.

"This girl was trying to steal from me. She needs to be punished. I want her whipped for even thinking she could try to steal from me," the merchant tells the Security Guard as he glances at me. I shake in his grip, and I feel like I'm going to wet myself.