Chapter 7

October 21st, 1988

I asked if Flea could pick me up today. I told them that Anthony's driving skills were a bit wild for my taste. They all fell for it except for Anthony but he didn't even mention it.

I sat with Flea in a car and we immediately talked about music. He noticed the bass at my place and was a bit disappointed I didn't tell him.

"No fucking way Ray, you should've told me!" from then on he only called me Ray.

"Don't get too excited I'm not even as good as you."

"Don't say that, you're probably a lot better than you're making it out to be," he patted my shoulder "I can't believe I'm your teacher now," he wiped away fake tears and I laughed.

Our chats and laughter filled the car. We were going to the studio where they wanted to record a song called "Taste the Pain" that wasn't going to come out until next year.

He parked his car in the driveway and went in. The recording studio was small, so I was a bit worried if we all could fit in there but it worked.

John looked up and smiled. God I loved that smile. Chad was excited to see me and yelled "Hi Raven!" from across the room. And then there was Anthony who didn't even care to look up, so I shrugged my shoulders without people noticing.

"So this is where the magic happens?" I joked.

"Now you say so, it's where all the magic happens," Chad joked and made a 'badumts' sound behind his kit.

"Are you guys ready?" Michael Beinhorn the producer asked.

They nodded and got into 'position'. It was more like trying to stand in place without bothering each other. I decided to get out of the room to join Michael, who was ready to give a sign to start playing. And so they did.

When they finished they looked over back at us. Michael was mumbling something but I couldn't make out what he was saying.

"This was good," a small smile appeared on his face "This was really good. We should go with this, without any changes. Guys we're done for today I will see you next week."

We all went out of the small recording studio and had a small talk before going into the car.

"What'd you think?" Flea asked shaking me.

"I-It was great really, I-I can't wait to hear it on record," Flea cheered and stopped shaking me wildly.

I walked over to John who was leaning against the wall lighting up a cigarette. I looked at him and he was just staring at nothingness, so it seemed.

"I'm glad you showed," he exhaled the smoke from his cigarette, tossed it on the ground and stepped on it.

"Why wouldn't I?"

"I don't know I'm just glad you did," he pressed his body against mine, leaning his head to my ear "I like you a lot," he whispered.

A blush appeared on my face.

"That's cute," he chuckled.

"Stop it!" I lightly pushed him away. He was the cute one.

We walked back to the car. I saw a few worried faces, something must have happened.

"Guys the car is too small for all of us," Flea scratched his head thinking this through.

"Flea you drive right? Well Chad is the biggest out of all of us so he should be in the front. John and Anthony should take the sides and I'll squeeze myself in the middle somehow," I said confident.

They all did what I said. We had to sit like this for an hour or so. It was getting pretty late, the cold was entering the car. Anthony noticed me shivering and took out some blankets. Apparently the heat didn't work.

"This should keep us warm," he said and put the blankets on all three of us.

Some time had passed and Flea was blasting Black Sabbath in the car, Chad was jamming along the tracks and John had fallen asleep. I didn't want to bother him so I let him be.

Anthony on the other hand had other plans in mind. He slowly put his hand on my thigh and started rubbing them. In a slow phase he went to my inner thigh reaching my crotch. Fuck I enjoyed this too much.

I slapped his hand away. Instead of being disappointed he whispered "Please" in my ear.

"Anthony, it's not gonna happen," I whispered back. I didn't want it to happen, my feelings for John developed by the minute and it wouldn't be fair to him if something between Anthony and I happened.

×

"John wake up," I whispered.

The guys had already left the car. John and I were the only one left. It felt nice to be with him again. Only him.

"John..."

"Mhm," he groaned.

He pulled me closer to his body. Our faces were only inches away, suddenly our lips connected. Our lips were moving in sync for so long it left me breathless. We both pulled away in the exact same moment "I- eh," I stuttered.

"Flea will take you home. Good night Raven, I- eh," he paused. He was searching for words and just like me he couldn't find them.

"Good night John," I whispered.

He stepped out of the car leaving me behind with many thoughts running through my head. I stayed in the back waiting for Flea to show up. I wished I could stay with John but I had to head back home.

I loved him, but I wasn't allowing myself to.