Daman

Adam was a very capable child and looking after his baby sister wasn't difficult for him. When she was hungry, she let him know and he brought her food. She had been learning to swim since she was able to sit up. She toddled and tumbled around after him wherever he went and he taught her everything he knew. He missed his mother, but there was so much exploring to do without anyone there to rein him in, he had no problem pushing the feelings aside and occupying his thoughts with the garden.

A couple of days after his parents left, he was resting where they had usually camped, near the pool, as he watched Eve chase a butterfly around. She was determined to capture the beautiful insect and examine it more closely.

"Adam!" The boy jumped when he heard the booming voice of his father. He sat up and looked around in every direction, seeing nothing. He started to lie back down when he heard it again. "Adam!"

He jumped to his feet, spinning around. He tried to figure out where his father's voice was coming from.

"Yes, Father?" he finally called, timidly. "Where are you? I can't see you!"

"No. You may not see me, my son. I need you to hear me, instead, and heed what I tell you."

Adam's eyes scanned the trees and he continued turning around, slowly, searching for the source of his father's voice. He was a bit frightened at hearing and not seeing the man.

"Where is my mother?" he asked. "Why can't I see you?"

"You will not see your mother for a while, either. You may not look upon us until the time that you prove you are worthy."

Adam started to cry. He wanted his mother. Eve had stopped chasing the butterfly and was listening intently. She stared up at Adam, her eyes wide. She babbled at him inquisitively.

"I want my mother!" Adam demanded.

"My son, I have given you this entire garden in which to play," his father's voice said to him. "All of the animals that you see here, I give you dominion over. Do you not enjoy them? Would you like to give them their names?"

Adam's childish curiosity was peaked. "They don't have names yet?"

"There are many that do not have names and you may name them all," his father said. "You may eat fruit from any tree you find in this garden." The voice paused for a moment. "Except one!" it continued in haste. "Do you know the tree of which there is only one of its kind? The tree that stands alone in the garden's center?"

Adam shrugged. "Maybe. I'm not sure."

"There is a tree in the center of the garden that stands out from the rest. The fruit is red and it is the only fruit that looks like it in the whole garden. You may not eat the fruit of that tree."

"Why not?" Adam asked, intrigued.

"Because!" his father's voice boomed back at him, causing him to shrink back a little. "It is the Tree of Knowledge of Evil. You will die if you eat the fruit from that tree. Do not eat it. Do you understand?"

"Yes, father. I will not eat from that tree," Adam promised, truly afraid.

"Good, child. Obey me and heed my words. If you do, you will be allowed to return to live with me forever, taking your rightful place at my side."

"I would like that, Father."

"I have given you Eve. She will keep you company so that you will not be lonely. Protect and watch over her. She was created of your own flesh and blood. She is a part of you just like the rib bone in your own body. Cherish her and she will serve you well."