4:03pm

the second time it happened, it was early in the afternoon–well, sort of, since anything before five is extremely early for someone who has nocturnal habits such as park chanyeol. 

he and jongin are playing far cry on split-screen, the game's sound effects surprisingly distracting them from how loud the latter's old playstation 3 exerts itself whilst running the game. it's painful to see the screen freeze at times and to have a headache from sitting too close to the screen (courtesy of jongin who just had to buy the shittiest controllers that have to demand getting charged twenty-four seven), but since his brother didn't allow him to bring the new generation console because overwatch is an absolute must, they have to settle for second best. 

(in chanyeol's humble–although correct and popular, might he add–opinion, the graphics might suck since he's already played the fourth game of the series, but the game play is incredibly better. no villain could ever steal his heart as fast as vaas montenegro, really.)

they're having fun, killing time, and not studying, like anyone with dubious priorities and morals would do one week before exams start.

"–you fucking suck."

chanyeol frowns, mock hurt. "and why's that?"

"'cause you keep hitting on me from the back!"

"you do know how bad that'd sound out of context, don't you?"

a pause, and then he can see how red jongin's cheeks get at his own impromptu innuendo from his peripheral vision and it's absolutely priceless how he drives straight into a palm tree, too. this kid's way too much for chanyeol's poor heart–too much secondhand embarrassment.

"shut up", is what he cleverly mumbles back, "y'know what i mean, how are we gonna win as a team if all you do is wreck my fucking car? it's 'cause i'm better at it than you, eh?"

chanyeol throws his hands up in defeat, controller promptly falling into the gap between his crossed legs. "fuck you and your generation's games, i'm too old for this."

"you can't just give up now!"

"watch me."

"i'll do it all by myself then, fuck off", jongin proceeds collecting the flags in game, nose scrunched up adorably as he scowls. if them bickering wasn't so common chanyeol would try to make shit better, really, but it is. 

"just–just pause, i'll grab some beer and then i'll help you in the next one", he pushes himself off the floor, gets up on his feet, "'kay? better have humans in it."

jongin scoffs, "so you can shank me instead of thrashing my backside?"

this kid will never learn, for fuck's sake.

instead of replying chanyeol all but lets out this disgruntled noise, walking towards the opposite wall where his guitar lies by the frigobar. crouches and grabs a few cans of beer–some cheap brand that tastes mildly like piss since money's still a problem, not only with paid music services–holding them between folded arms.

and almost drops them on the floor when he hears it.

"jongin! jongin, turn the fucking volume down, mute that shit right now."

said man looks over his shoulder at chanyeol with an arched eyebrow, pauses the game but there's still this annoying background music going on. "but why–"

"will you–just do it!"

he obliges hurriedly, pressing the mute button on the tv remote and then standing up, too, to check what the fuck is going on with his roommate since he can't quite lose his mind while so close to graduating. "dude, you okay?"

i have stones in my pocket, put them down on the road, so i'll find a way to come backfucking hell baekhyun, that's salt not fucking sugar

"he likes syd matters", chanyeol whines as he rubs his temples, dropping a can to the floor in the process.

jongin flinches at the noise of aluminium against hardwood flooring then nods his head, not quite understanding why his friend seems to utterly distressed with their neighbors' discussion. "and has a bad temper, apparently. what's the biggie?"

"his voice is beautiful, angelic, and he likes one of my favorite artists", he continues, gesturing wildly with the hand that isn't cradling beer like a newborn, "i think i've found my soulmate."

"this is, like, the fifth time you say that. in the last two years. plus we've never even met 'em before, how're you so sure about that?"

the singing continues, so i'll find a way to come back to my home, dunno when i'll returnoh i'd rather stop talking or coming back

"chanyeol."

oh, right. his eyes were closed there for a second, just basking in the sound of his neighbor's voice. and what a beautiful voice–imagine how great would they sound doing a collab, his singing and chanyeol playing the guitar. 

"correction", he points an accusing finger at jongin, "i've already said i was in love four times, never mentioned soul bonding."

"what the fuck ever", jongin rolls his eyes as he snatches a beer right from chanyeol's arms, ignoring the latter's you're not even old enough to drink! "why don't you just, i dunno, knock on his door and actually bond?"

chanyeol considers it for a second–imagines all possible scenarios that could occur if he attempted to do the socializing thing directly. would his neighbor think he's a creep? would he agree on singing for him? hell, would they even look each other in the eye and realize that, hands down, it's love at first sight? 

"i can't just do that", he pouts, opens a can of his own and chugs at least half of its contents down in one go. "like, i can't do it on my own. i'm only smooth when i'm about to fuck someone, not be all lovey-dovey touchy-feely."

"i can help", and jongin's left eyes does this twitchy thing which means he's not very sure about what he's promising to his best friend of eight years, but knows it's the only viable option. "i mean, it wouldn't hurt, would it?"

"not at all!", chanyeol exclaims, opening his arms wide, "c'mere, big guy."

he waves his hand dismissively, eyebrows furrowed even though the corners of his mouth curl up into a smile. "no hugs, and we're doing it my way, got it?"

"gotcha."

/////

best friedns chankai on the fuckin go!! hope yall liked this i  had lots of fun writing n cant wait for the next chap

vote comment yell at me on twit @/ksoobf idk