Chapter Two - The Mayor

Start from the beginning

GET OUT OF MY THOUGHTS! Sera's voice roared.

It wasn't his fault he saw those memories, he wasn't even sure how it was happening or why. The memories were right there in front of him, he couldn't look away even if he wanted to. She was showing him.

Wrong.

Wrong? How was he wrong? He was trapped in his mind with no apparent way out. All he could do was think. How was any of this his fault?

You can see my memories because you're connected to my brother, she said. As long as I'm possessing you, you have the power to crawl into my thoughts and fish out whatever you desire.

Riley quickly focused on her voice and soon after he was in her memories again. They were blurry, she was trying to stop him from looking at them. It seemed like it was the only way to get to her. Maybe if he kept searching through her thoughts, she'd leave his body.

Two people were in this memory. One clearly Sera, as she had long black hair and it was so dark that it made the night jealous. The other was a man, and the longer he spent watching the memory, the clearer both of them got. They were on a bridge, looking over a lake while they spoke quietly. The man's face was still blurred, but the rest of the memory wasn't. She was trying to hide his identity.

Riley couldn't physically feel anything, but he certainly felt his emotions when he saw what was on the lake. There were dozens of bodies floating over the water, they were all dead. Sera had a proud look on her face as she tore her eyes away from the man to look over the bridge.

The memory ended when Riley felt a sharp pain in his chest. Sera was holding the dagger over his heart, pressing it in slowly as if giving him time to stop. He stopped.

You're a strong one, her voice whispered.

Where are we going? Riley thought back.

“I told you, we're going to see the mayor,” Riley replied, except it wasn't Riley talking out loud, it was her. It was weird hearing his own voice from a different perspective. “My father.”

Her father? Her father was the mayor of Bellumstone? He never really thought about it, but now he remembered seeing the name Silvern before. The mayor was Hart's father. He never payed attention to who was running the town before, he never cared. But now it made some sense to him. The reason why Hart was never caught was because their father was keeping them safe. He was helping them.

My father has done nothing for us, Sera thought. He has been on his deathbed for the last couple of months, rotting away while his children run across the country killing people to bring back their mother. He left us. The mere thought of him being any use to us makes me laugh.

Once again, Riley was in the dark. Every time he thought he was close to knowing something, he would always end up back in the beginning. Not knowing the truth seemed to be inevitable.

I told you, I'm going to show you the truth.

Riley didn't notice they had entered a building until a nurse approached him. They were in a hospital. She asked if he needed assistance, but Sera replied in Riley's voice and asked her where Mayor Silvern was. She looked suspiciously at him and asked for a name.

“Hart Silvern, I am his son,” Sera replied.

“Oh!” The nurse suddenly lit up with joy. “I've heard him talk about you in his sleep. He hasn't gotten any visitors in a long time, I'm sure he'll be thrilled to see you. He's actually on the fourth floor, two o' seven.”

“Thank you.”

“You need to sign in first,” the nurse said as Sera turned around to leave. Riley's vision immediately turned red, his thoughts filled with blood and darkness. But those were Sera's thoughts, she was thinking about – NO! It was too late, Sera had already snapped the woman's neck and was on her way to the Mayor's room.