Chapter 2: Her Dream, His Start

"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light"- ~Albus Dumbledore~

Yu stayed wide awake all night, sitting near the window, remaining her position where she had saw Arata Hajime being resurrected. 'Arata Hajime', a fresh start, as the name means. If Yu is to juxtapose her name with the boy's, it stands as 'Courage in the River of Tears' (Yu Namikawa) will have a 'Fresh start' (Arata Hajime). Was it a fresh start for her? She had every misfortune one could have, yet was there any hope of fresh start? She had always thought she had nothing left; she will live and die like a stone, unnoticed by the world. But it is the only hope, then she will hold onto it and never let go....

L's voice ringed in her ears

I am justice....

.....

(Two months later)

When her eyes opened, it was already dawn, and like the reflex action her eyes roamed towards the wall, where the letter 'L' was being displayed from the cutting of newspaper. Today was Thursday and she had classes early. She got up on her feet and checked the phone.... July 7th..... Her birthday and her mother's death day. July 7th was an important day for her not for her birthday or her mother's death day, it was also the day when her dad took out his imported Italian leather belt to whip her up, it was the day when her dad got the most drunk, it was the day when she was reminded every year that she has no right to live.... Yet every year, death seemed to ignore her dad's requests. Yu's hands roamed at the back and she felt the lashes that engraved in her healed skin. It was odd, but she missed her dad today.... Especially today.... As she smiled sadly, what a scary thing habit was.

It was time to stand up again, and go to school, then she would visit the graves later. School was also a tiring place. Apart from the teachers nobody did really talk to her, or behaved well with her, and she had to put up with it. She was a punch-bag for others.

It was quiet uneventful the way she walked into her school, and the moment she put her bag in her desk, three bulky looking girls came in front of her, crackling their knuckles.

''ey, sup? Look shrimp came back.....' a girl said. 'Where is my homework bitch?'

Yu sat her head hung, but she replied firmly 'You didn't say the day before when you were stepping on my hand....'

Yu was surprised by herself, this is the first time she spoke for herself. Make no mistake! She is not a whimpering creature scared of bullies, in fact, after her dad, nobody scared her anymore.... She liked being bullied; it was a way of self punishment for the pain she caused her father for taking her mother's life by coming out of her womb. But today an odd strength filled her, as if she refused to be bullied anymore, and she remembers the way she told off that man for accusing the old man in the bus for being a pervert. As if she found a wall against her back, supporting her.

'What did you say?' that girl said, and forced Yu to look at her.

The moment their eyes connected Yu could see something that was beyond the lethal blue eyes of that girl, she could see a little girl, ignored by everyone in the playground, playing alone in her home while her mom dressed herself up and meet up with different men every week, then that little girl murdering her mom, fearfully regretting, but they didn't listen..... She ended up in juvie hall...

Was she seeing inside the girl's mind?

It's a miracle.... As if she was a psychic, no clairvoyant....