He kept a wary eye out for roaming creatures as he walked along what passed for streets in Waeverleyne. The Summoners had been hard at work for the last two days, clearing the city of beasts and the rogue gates to the Uppers that were opening in ever greater numbers. They had succeeded in stemming the flow, or so it appeared, for Devary saw nothing untoward on his way through the city. He paused at the first set of bulletin boards he reached, stationing himself where he could read each of the three boards in turn.

   The same headline blazed from all three.

   Break-in at University of Waeverleyne

   The respected University of Waeverleyne was broken into last eventide. The object of the crime was undoubtedly the coveted istore stone, for not a piece remains in the university's decimated research laboratories. Nothing else appears to have been taken. More news as we hear from our correspondents at the university.

   Devary didn't wait to read the rest. He broke into a run, heading for the elegant cluster of trunks that made up the university grounds.

   He encountered a group of infirmary workers on the outskirts. The body of a uniformed guard lay on the ground, bloodily wounded and evidently not breathing; several healers were working on him, quite uselessly.

   'Was anyone inside?' he gasped, out of breath. One of the healers looked up, shook her head at him.

   'Don't know,' she said tersely. Devary ran on, pushing his way through crowds of curious spectators. A glance upwards told him that the main doors were closed. He slipped through a small door at the rear, pushing his way through crowded reporters, police, infirmary workers, researchers and professors. To his relief, he found Elder Ilae Shuly standing in the centre of the chaos, directing the clean-up effort. He looked up as Devary approached.

   'Does Ynara know about this yet? I sent a messenger not long ago.'

   Devary shook his head. 'That, I don't know. I heard the news from the bulletins.'

   Ilae grimaced. 'They're quicker than ever.'

   'I was afraid to see your name on the casualty list.' Elder Shuly, Ynara's closest friend on the Council, was famous for the hours he spent at the university, often staying well after it closed for the day.

   'It should have been,' said Ilae bluntly. 'I developed one of my headaches yesterday, and left early. I was home not much after sunset. Two of my research assistants were here,' he added bleakly.

   Devary winced. 'Were there any witnesses?'

   'None surviving. Which was, of course, the point. There were a few more patrol guards on the other side of the university grounds, but they saw nothing.'

   'And the istore?'

   'Taken, down to the smallest piece.' Ilae sighed. All of his vaunted energy seemed lost; he looked every single one of his seventy-something years. 'Not that we were making any progress in the study. We lack the expertise, perhaps. I had hoped to consult with Nimdre, however; they've some specialist knowledge at the universities there. Oh - you'd know, of course,' Ilae added with a nod to Devary.

   'What of Glour? They were forming a research team when Ynara left. They may be in danger of a similar raid.'

   'I've already dispatched a note, but I imagine it will be too late for them to act on it. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that a similar break-in occurred somewhere in Glour City overnight. And really, I scarcely know how they would do better in protecting the stuff; nothing seems to hold against these people.'