chapter 2

I fidgeted in my seat. Twisting and turning. Mariah nudged me. “What’s wrong with you?" I stopped. Looking at her, I wondered why I was actually moving so much. Then I realised. “It’s Mr Darwin. H-he like winked at me."

Mariah pulled a face. I held in my laughter. She patted my back softly. "So? Male teachers do that to girls all the time. It's just to see your reaction."

I sighed. I could relax a bit more. Until I see Samantha again.

Our first lesson was with Mr Darwin. He was fun. He wore a checked shirt that was half tucked in. “Hey class. So let's see here... What have you guys been learning recently? Anyone want to answer?" He shot another glance at me. “Hm-mm.... Oh, Brooklyn. Is that your name? Can you tell me what you've been learning recently?"

Everybody’s' heads turned to look at me. I gulped. “I... I... Don't need to tell you!" My heart began to race. “Stop looking at me! In assembly you winked at me! Now you’re asking me stupid questions? Pervert!”

His face changed. Harder, “Look. Don't think that because I'm the new guy you can toss me around. I'm 23. I don't freaking care if you’re the kind of teens who take pleasures in acting like brats. Do it in your own time."

I went pale. People began to giggle and pass notes. I sank underneath my seat. Feeling alone and stupid. I stood up. Pushing my desk over and looking straight at Mr Darwin. “Listen to me. I don't like you. You're just dumb.... If you even try to act superior I'll make sure you regret it."

He laughed. “I may be dumb in your eyes, but to other students, I think it's the other way round." That's when everyone cracked up in laughter. Mr Darwin walked up to face me. “I’m still waiting for your answer. What have you been learning?"

I picked up the desk. “Um...  fractions."