Chapter Ten

People always break their promises. Always. No exceptions.

Over the next few month's Niall changed drastically again, he became more cheerful, more inquisitive and more confident. He started to whine to get people's attention, be a little bit more demanding when he wanted to be read something, and be more insistent when he tried to convey what he wanted. He'd also been wetting the bed less and having no more accidents during the day; much to everyone's relief. Currently he was sitting in between Harry and Louis in their regular coffee shop. He had a mug of hot chocolate in front of him, a muffin, a sandwich and a Danish all on one big plate. Everyone was calm and relaxed, cozy in the little shop as snow began to fall outside. It was still early December but they were already in the Christmas feeling, mostly due to the newest addition to the family.
                'So are you excited for Santa coming Nialler?' Louis asked, looking down at the small child. Niall looked up in confusion, frowning at Louis as he shook his head. Why would he be excited for Santa to come? Santa never comes for him, he only comes for real kids. Not Niall.
                'Why not?' Harry asked. 'Everyone has to be excited for Santa. He brings gifts!'
                Again Niall shook his head as he took a bite out of his sandwich. Louis looked worried and he shared a look with Zayn and Liam across from him.
                'Niall has Santa never brought you a gift before?' Liam asked carefully. Niall easily shook his head, not looking fussed at all. He knew why Santa didn't give him gifts and it was okay, really. Four pairs of eyes looked at the small boy sadly, had no one ever taken the time or effort to give him a gift from Santa? It was as though they really had actually robbed Niall of a childhood.
                'I bet I know why.' Zayn suddenly said, leaning across the table to look at Niall. 'Its because sometimes Santa gets confused when you move a lot so he probably didn't know where to bring your presents to.'
                Louis nodded in agreement. 'You know what you should do? You should write a letter to him telling him where you live now and what you want for Christmas.'
                Niall looked thoughtful for a moment before he shrugged and nodded, focusing back on the sandwich in front of him.
                'Lets do it after you've finished!' Harry exclaimed excitedly. 'And then we can put it in the post on our way back home!'
                Niall nodded, doing it more to appease them than anything else. He finished up his food and wiped his hands as Zayn slid a pen and paper towards him.
                'There you go. Write whatever you want.' Liam told him. Niall smiled and nodded politely before taking the pen and sitting on his knees so he could write better. He clicked the pen open and started to write.
                Deer Saanta Clas,
My nam is Niall Horan and I am riting 2 yu 2 tel yu that I liv with with meesters Zan and Leeum noh in Lundun. That is in Egland. I dunt want anythn fur Krismas this yeer pleez. I jus want 2 liv with Zan and Leeum 4 ever pleez. Surry 2 bodder yu. Murry Krismas Meester Saanta Clas.
Luv,
Niall Horan and Joee
Niall finished his letter and folded it up, slipping it into the envelope and sealing it shut with his tongue. He smiled happily at Zayn and Liam as he handed the envelope back to them, hoping it made them feel better. Zayn and Liam took the letter back and thanked Niall while Harry tried to come to terms with what he had just read over Niall's shoulder. How could someone as young as Niall have to ask for a stable home for Christmas? It just wasn't fair.
                Soon after they'd all finished up and they started their walk home. After putting an address and stamp on the letter they let Niall run up and put the letter in the box, watching as the little blonde scuffed his feet around in the snow happily before he dashed back to them.
                'Are you coming back to ours?' Liam asked Harry and Louis as they stepped inside their building.
                'Yeah. We don't have anything to eat at ours.' Louis told him, picking up Niall and giving Liam a cheeky grin. Liam just shook his head as they all headed back to his and Zayn's flat.
xXx
                The rest of the evening went smoothly with everyone cooking and baking and Niall managing to be constantly underfoot unless someone was reading him a story. They were just about to sit down to eat when there was a knock on the door.
                'I got it.' Harry said happily, opening the door. On the other side was a very severe looking woman in a pantsuit holding a badge.
                'I'm Sylvia from Social Services and I'm here to collect one Niall Horan.' She said, stepping inside the door. It was like the world stopped for a moment inside of the flat.  Zayn and Liam froze before they strode over to the door and Louis quickly picked up Niall and held him protectively.
                'I'm here to move Niall to a different foster family.' She told Zayn and Liam coldly.
                'Y-you can't do that.' Liam told her, his face going pale. 'He's our foster son and he's supposed to be here long term.'
                'Yes well I feel he needs to be removed from the home. Now please go and collect his things. We need to be going.' She said crisply.
                'You can't do this!' Zayn exclaimed angrily. 'He's a long term placement. Meaning he's supposed to stay here unless something major happens!'
                'Mr. Malik I suggest you calm down or I will be calling the authorities. And that will not look good on you the next time you try and foster a child.'
                Zayn glared at her, she had not right to do this. 'You aren't even his social worker. Paula is. You can't do this!'
                'Paula has been reassigned. I am taking over Niall's case and if you would please hurry up and gather the boy and his things. We need to be going.' She told him.
                Liam knew it was up as he looked at her badge, she wasn't lying. He nodded to Louis to take Niall and get his things together while he and Zayn looked over the official paper work.
                'Lets get your things together okay?' Louis said to Niall, tears rolling down his cheeks as he carried him into the bedroom. Niall looked up in confusion and shook his head. He didn't want to leave! This was his family! Why were they taking him again! Louis took a shaky breath and kept Niall in his arms as he gathered the boys things into a duffel, making sure to include the football jersey he'd given him, the beanie Harry had given him, an comfortable shirt of Zayn's that Niall sometimes slept in and a sweater of Liam's for Niall to remember them by.
                Niall started to cry as well, clinging to Louis and mouthing 'No' to him the entire time. Louis slowly carried him back to Liam and Zayn, handing the woman the bag and the child to Liam.
                'We love you Niall. We love you so so much baby.' Liam told him, hugging Niall tightly as Zayn joined in.
                'We'll fix this. I promise. You just be strong for a little while and we'll be back to get you.' Zayn assured him, tears soaking into Niall's hair.
                'We'll see about that.' Sylvia said darkly, pulling Niall away. The small boy screamed and reached out for Zayn and Liam as he was pulled away, trying to say 'Daddy' and 'Baba' and trying to beg them to let him stay.
                And then he was gone.
xXx
                The next week was hard. No, it was impossible. Zayn didn't go to work, Liam stayed with him and neither could get any sleep. Two days later they found themselves once again standing in the doorway of Niall's bedroom and trying to will him back with them. Noticing the covers still askew Zayn lethargically went over and righted them, as he did Niall's drawing fluttered to the floor. He leaned down and picked it up, letting out a strangled sob as he saw the crude little drawing with the labels underneath. He felt like he was missing a part of himself. They both did.
xXx
                On the eighth night of Niall's absence there was a hurried knock on the door followed by someone repeatedly ringing the bell. Zayn didn't want to answer it but Liam still held a hope that Niall would come back so he got up and opened it.
                'Paula?' He asked, taken aback. 'What are you doing here?'
                Zayn came around the corner and stood beside Liam, arms crossed as he glared at her full on.
                'It's about Niall.' She started to say.
                'He's gone. One of your lot came and took him away kicking and screaming.' Zayn told her coldly.
                'He's missing.' She told them. 'He's been gone three days.'