Chapter #5: New Recruits

The boys and Gadget enter through the doors and walks in the S.C.R.A.M computer. "Boys", Gadget started, "welcome to the S.C.R.A.M. computer!" The boys look around with faces of amazement. "This place is humongous!" William said. "This is awesome!" Jacob said.

"We can search up our next recruits on this computer", Gadget said as she searches up a city on the computer. The computer then finds New York City. "Found it!" Gadget said. "New York?" William asked. Gadget nods her head. "You mean, we're actually going to New York to find recruits?" Jacob asked.

"That is correct", Gadget replied. "That's where we live!" William said. "Oh, really?" Gadget asked. "Yep", William replied. "Well then, you're in luck", Gadget said, "because I've just found a resident in Manhattan." "Really?" Jacob asked. "What's her name?"

"Katie Brown", Gadget answered. "She's the owner of two dogs and lives in an apartment complex." The boys have surprised looks on their faces. "Interesting!" William said. "Well, let's go meet Katie Brown", Jacob said. "One question, though", he then said. "How will we get to Manhattan? Do we even have a vehicle?" he asked.

"Good question", Gadget said. "We do have a vehicle. Follow me, boys. Prepare to pop your eyes out!" So, the boys and Gadget walk through a gate to a room where a fancy vehicle - part car, part airplane, part rocket - is sitting right in front of the gate. "Behold", Gadget said, "the SX-500!"

"Oh my God", William said in amazement. "Look at this! Part car, part airplane, part rocket?!" "I don't know what to say, Gadget", Jacob said to her. "Pretty cool, right?" Gadget asked. "I've added extra nitro cannons for more speed." "Come on", she then said, "hop in. We've got a mission here." The boys and Gadget hop in the SX-500. "SX-500, take us to Manhattan, New York", Gadget demanded.

"As you command, Miss Hackwrench", the SX-500 replied. "Activate wings", she then commanded. The SX-500 automatically pulls its wings out in airplane form. Then the wheels transform into rocket boosters with horsepower and the car flies off, crashing through the gate's doors. At the tippy-top, a security camera records the action.

Meanwhile, Crusader and Bellwether saw the SX-500 flying to Manhattan. "The SX-500?" Bellwether asked in shock. "Flying to Manhattan?! Impossible!" "So, boys, you want to stop us from destroying Earth, huh?" the Crusader asked. "Well, two can play at that game!"

"Bellwether, I need a favor from you", he then said. 'Go ahead", Bellwether said, "I'm all ears." "I need you to go to Manhattan and attach a bomb under the SX-500. I won't rest until these 'S.C.R.A.M.' agents are eliminated!" the Crusader told her. "Crusader", Bellwether said,"you have my word!"

The SX-500 flies through the streets of Manhattan. Jacob sniffs the air and takes a deep breath. "I love the smell of action in the mornin'", said Jacob. "Smells like saving our planet!" "Yep", Gadget said, "nothing like fresh air in the sour smells of New York!"

The SX-500 lands in front of Katie's apartment. "Well, here we are", Jacob said. "Now, let's go recruit her." "Love these exosuits", William said. "I'm glad that you guys do", Gadget said. "Well then, shall we lead the way?" she then asked. "Let's shall", Jacob said.

Inside Katie's apartment, her two dogs, Max, a Jack Russell Terrier and Duke, a brown shaggy mongrel, are having a discussion, even though Katie can only hear barking sounds. "So, if you can have anything in the world, what will it be?" Max asked him. "Well, it is tricky", Duke began, "but if I did, I would have a million Milk-Bones!" Katie hears a knock on her door.

"I'll get it", Katie said. "Boys, sit and stay." She opens the door as the boys and Gadget walk in. "Oh, hi", Katie said. "Hello", William said to her. "I'm William and this is my brother Jacob." "Who is that behind the two of you?" Katie asked. "Oh, pardon me, Ms. Brown", Gadget said, introducing herself. "Gadget Hackwrench. We're from the S.C.R.A.M. agency because we need some new recruits for our team, and we picked you, Ms. Brown, because you're excellent in some of the skills you do."

"Recruits?" Katie asked. "Hey, Duke", Max said, "who are those three?" "I don't know", Duke said, "I've never seen them before." "Uh, I don't know, you guys", Katie said. "I'm just a caretaker. I don't know anything about being a secret agent." "Well, Gadget will teach you everything", Jacob said. "Well, I'm sorry. I can't", Katie said in disappointment.

"You've got some nice dogs, Katie", William said. "Like them?" Katie asked. "This is Max and Duke." "Maybe we can have them as our recruits", William said. "I don't know", Katie said. "That will take much responsibility." "Have you ever wanted to understand what your dogs are saying?" Jacob asked. "Well, it depends", Katie said.

They then hear a knock on Katie's window. Gidget, a Pomeranian, is jumping to get Max's attention. "Max! Max!" Gidget called out. "Open up! It's me!" Katie opens the door and lets Gidget in. "What's a Pomeranian doing here?" Katie asks. "Maybe she just wanted to see Max and Duke", Jacob replied. "Interesting", Katie says.

"Hey, Gidget", Max greets her. Gidget looks at the boys and Gadget with confusion. "Hey, Max", Gidget said. "Who are those guys?" she then asked. "These are the 'S.C.R.A.M.' guys who wanted Katie as a recruit", Max replied. "But she said that she can't become an agent", Duke said. "Yeah, you're right", Max replied.

"You know, Katie", Gadget said, "I might give you something that might help you with understanding with animals." Gadget reaches into her pocket and takes out a pill. "Here", she then said, "this pill will let you communicate with animals." "Um, okay", Katie said as she takes the pill and swallows it. She begins to hear some low growling noises for a bit. "Why do I feel hungry all of a sudden?" Katie asks as she puts her hand on her stomach. "I don't think that was you", William said. Katie's hearing translates from barking sounds to her own pets speaking in English.

Gidget gives Katie a nervous chuckle as she realizes that actually was her stomach growling. "Sorry, that was my tummy", she said. "I'm starving!" Katie then gets a surprised look on her face. Max, seeing this, walks up to his owner. "Can you...understand us?" Max asked. Katie nods her head as a reply. "I can't believe it", he said. Max then walks over to the boys. "Um, hello", Max said. "Hey, Max", Jacob said. "I'm Jacob and this is William." "Are you the agents who are picking the two of us as recruits?" Max asks.

"You mean three?" someone asked. A white rabbit named Snowball hops over Katie's window and sees the gang looking at him. "What are you starin' at?" Snowball asks, then looks at Max. "Oh, hey Tiny Dog!" "'Tiny Dog?'" William asked. "That's what Snowball calls Max all the time", Duke says. "I heard about the whole agent thing", Snowball said. "Mind if I join ya?"

"It's up to you, Snowball", Gidget says. "I can't believe I'm a spy!" Snowball exclaims. "Say, who are those two boys over there?" He then asks. "This is Jacob and William", Max replied. "They've picked me, you and Gidget as agents for S.C.R.A.M." "Really?" Snowball asks. "They just did", Duke said.

"Very nice to meet you, boys", Gidget said. "I'm very proud to be an agent for S.C.R.A.M." "It's all right to you, Katie?" Duke asked. "Well, I don't see why not", Katie said. "After all, you guys have decided to go with them." Katie then sheds tears from her eye and sniffs. "But I'll miss the three of you very much, even when I just met Gidget and Snowball."

Jacob gives Katie a hug while she cries. "It's all right", Jacob said, "We'll take care of them." "Okay", Katie said. "Come on, guys", William said. "We've got a big mission on our hands here." "Okay, boys", Gidget said. As Max leaves, he turns around to look at both Katie and Duke. "Hey, Duke", Max began. "Yes, Max?" Duke asked. "I want you to take my collar as a gift for you", Max continued as he takes off his collar and gives it to Duke. "I want you to take care of Katie for me just like when Katie used to take care of me." Max then looks at Katie. "Katie, you do the same thing to Duke. I'll remember you both as you'll remember me. I love you guys so much and I'll miss you both." Gidget starts crying after Max finishes his speech. Jacob comforts Gidget as this happens. "It's OK, Gidget", Jacob said.

"Good luck, Max", Katie said with a smile. "See ya, bro", Duke said. "You too, Duke", Max said as he leaves with the rest of the agents.