1: shattered

Outside the trees are blowing against the wind and the blades of grass are faltering against the cool breeze. The air seeps in and out of the nostrils of playing kids; laughter fills their lungs and I begin to imagine.

I imagine my hands clutching two steel chains holding a green piece of plastic, my butt begins to tingle, but I don’t mind. I begin to kick my legs out then in and I repeat this motion so many times, the words are circling throughout my brain. The once straight line on my face curves up and I think this is happiness, but I can’t be sure. So I close my eyes and hold my breathe as I swing. All of a sudden this big bubble of air gathers in the midst of my stomach, I feel as if some kind of drug is making me feel so supplementary. Forgetting to breath had left my body in a panic, I could hear my heart beating away in my chest and I could feel all the veins in my body ticking. I liked it though, being able to control something.

Eventually I had to breathe, but my eyes remained closed for I knew what would happened if I opened them and I wasn’t done imagining yet. I continued to kick my legs for what seemed like days. The wind held my chocolate brown hair in its grip as it spun out in every direction possible.

All of a sudden a sharp pain protruded near my left shoulder and that’s when everything faded away, the color washed away and I was brought back into the black and white that was presumably my life.

As I opened my eyes, there she was; her hands were limply hanging by her sides as a smug smile slipped onto her face.

“Did I fucking say you could close your eyes you bitch?” her words were harsh, but my only focus was on the two weapons placed at her sides.

In a hurry her left fist came in contact with my face, I didn’t dare let out a peep. She repeated this action until she was pleased I had learned my lesson.

“Fucking get up stairs and do your chores and if you’re lucky you can have what the dogs don’t eat.”

She walked back up the stairs, but turned back around as she got to the last step—“Be sure to watch were you step.” I didn’t know what she meant until my feet collided against the cold tile from the kitchen. As I took one too many steps I felt sharp pain in the bottom of my feet. I looked down and shards of glass seemed to be sprinkled all around. A trail of blood connected the shattered pieces. I panicked, how was I to clean up this mess and do everything else in my time limit?

Before allowing myself to get over worried I grabbed a bunch of paper towels; when I knew I’d pay for it later, for I was not allowed to use nice things. I used them nonetheless, to clean up the glass and then used a few more sheets to wipe away the blood.

As I then tried to remove the glass from my feet I screamed from the pain, I knew if I was too loud she’d come downstairs and look at the mess I caused, so I grabbed a dirty rag out of the sink and stuffed it into my mouth while pulling the shards from out of my skin. It hurt like hell, but by the time I was done I was so proud that I did it by myself, without help from the bitch.

After that little game, I moved onto my normal chores, though the bottom of both my feet caused small tears to trail down from my eyes.

As long ago as I can remember was I the slave of the family, ever since my sister was born (twelve years ago) had I been abused. At first it was just a few slaps on the wrist, but over time as mother got away with more and more crimes, did the games and punishments for my bad behavior worsen.

From blows to the face, to having to sit on top of the stove while it’s heat was released onto my body. I guess that’s why I’m so emotionless, though at school; my only escape, I’m considered an outcast.

Since mother refuses to buy me new clothes, I go to school in the same tights and overalls I am forced into to do the house chores. I’m not allowed to shower, unless it’s one of mother’s game, I’m forced to try to steal food, unless mother feeds me which is once every three or four days. The punishment for stealing is one worse than death.

While I wipe away small crumbs of food from the dining room table, I can only think of the few times I’ve been allowed to sit here and eat with the family and even when I do I’m forced to stay mute and get my food last, but I never take those few occasions for granted.

If it wasn’t for my father I’d have none of them, he’s like my guardian angel. Whenever he is home mother never plays any of her games. He also tries to steal me food, but most of the time he gets us caught and right after he leaves in the morning I pay for his actions.

As I look up at the clock, I realize I won’t be eating tonight, because it had taken me an hour longer than usual to clean up, so I put all of the cleaning supplies I used back in the pantry and stand by the basement door, so mother can check and then dismiss me back down to the basement.

You know when she’s coming, for the walls of the house shake and her cusses flood through the halls. “You piece of shit, if I find one damn crumb it’s your ass on the line.” I didn’t move a single inch as she ran her finger over every piece of furniture, I knew she would find something, even if it was the smallest thing I’d pay.

“What the fuck is this?” she screamed.

She walked closer to me, her pointer finger extended and I knew I’d missed something.

“Answer me you piece of shit, what the fuck is this?”

“Dust.” I faintly answered back.

“Do not fucking talk to me—that’s it strip off your God damn clothes or so help me.”

Doing as she said, I stood completely naked in her eyes, though this is just another time over thousands of others.

“Now be a good girl and get up in the sink.” Her rehearsed nice tone made me want to shiver, but I was thankful that I wasn’t being forced to sit on top of the stove and she seemed to know it.

“You better be lucky you have school tomorrow or I would’ve made you burn in hell where you belong.” she screamed as she turned on the faucet in the sink next to the one I was sitting in. I could see the steam build up and I began to breath faster, but I couldn’t cry, I couldn’t let her have the satisfaction of my tears.

Grabbing the hose connected to the sink she turned it on and I closed my eyes just waiting for the scouring hot water. Minutes seemed to pass by and nothing, so I opened my eyes—my biggest mistake. She smiled at me and sprayed my right in my chest, I screamed.

“Be quiet you fucking bitch.”

I only cried louder inside as the water burned against my skin, I was just waiting for it to run out into cold water.

Not wanting to close my eyes I slipped away as I stared at a quote on the wall…

                                       “Only the strongest people

                                                       Face the worst challenges in life

                                                         Just remember you are loved by someone.”

I thought about someone actually loving me, but I knew that was the furthest thing from millions of possibilities, who could love someone so broken, someone as ugly as I.

Everything began to stop after a while, the water, the words of hate, the cold metal against my buttocks. I was in a state of nothing and all I want is to remain here forever.

“Get your ass back downstairs, don’t you dare make a fucking sound or I’ll make you pay.” with that she walked away.

This was my life and I was destined to spend my days here toiling away into a pile of dust.

(a/n)

Okay to clear up any confusion, this is a fan fiction and I want to establish the girl’s character before I bring in anybody else, so don’t think this isn’t a fan fiction. Everything will become clearer as more chapters are published.

Thank you for reading and be sure to comment and vote.

xx