Looking at the UPside - Part 3

Ken grabbed Marion's file again and walked back to room 42, Marion was still there, sitting in the same place swinging his legs. The brochure was still in his hands, but Ken noted that Marion had folded the sides and corners to make it into a paper airplane.

"When do I go to the facility?" Marion asked, looking up at him with those big blue eyes.

Ken bit his bottom lip for a moment, telling a patient they were getting the lotus procedure was always the hardest part. There was no predicting a response; they were always varied from simple crying to pure hysterics. In Ken's worst case a U-Cit had turned violent and had nearly given him a concussion. Kids were usually different though, if they were young enough they had no idea what the lotus procedure even was and then you had to explain it to them.

"Listen Marion, I can't take you to any of the facilities. There's no space available to take you for December."

"What does that mean?" Marion asked.

"I'm going to have to do the lotus procedure instead."

Marion remained expressionless. "The lotus procedure? What's that?"

Ken ignored him while he sorted through the nearby desk grabbing the necessary sheets and a tape recorder. This whole conversation would have to be recorded and documented later. Ken put a fresh cassette in and pushed the record button. "I just have to ask you a few questions before I can proceed. Marion, for the record, can you tell me how old you are?"

"I'm ten years old, I turn eleven next April."

"Do you have a job, are you able to support yourself and live off of your own means?"

"No."

"Have you made any great contributions to society? Have you cured cancer or made any other achievements?"

Marion shook his head."No, I haven't."

"Are you capable of any skills otherwise unheard of for your age? Are you a child prodigy in a significant field, such as music or mathematics?"

Marion shook his head again "No. I don't understand, sir. Why are you asking me all this?"

"You are aware, Marion, that if you had answered 'yes' to any of the previous questions that, according to the province and government of Canada, you would have been liable for a pardon to the lotus procedure. Since you have answered 'no' and admit to being a non-person I, Kenly Sheridan, a certified agent of the Unwanted Persons Department of Canada, may now carry out the lotus procedure and end your status as a non-person."

Ken stopped the tape recorder and waited a moment, watching Marion to see what he would do. He kept staring, blue eyes piercing his. In his hands he twirled his folded paper plane over and over.

"What is the lotus procedure Mr. Sheridan?" Marion asked.

Ken stopped looking at the boy and turned his attention to the cupboards behind him. Suddenly he couldn't stand to see the boy looking at him. Although he knew where the supplies were, he took his time finding the kit and taking it out. "Marion, why is it that Randall thought you weren't his son?"

"I think it was my eyes. Randall said in the trial he got suspicious of them. I've got blue eyes you know? The social worker said they're as blue as eyes get. But he doesn't. He's got brown eyes, him and Nadine both. He said all babies are born with blue eyes, but they grow out of them. I guess I never did and that's awfully suspicious of me."

Ken turned from the counter kit in hand and walked over towards Marion. Ken reflected this was the first time he had actually come in touching distance of Marion.

"That's too bad. Can you roll up your sleeve for me please? Just like that, yes perfect thank you. My, that's a fine airplane you've made. Why don't you give it a toss and see where it lands?"

Marion eyed Ken curiously but did as instructed. Raising the plane in his right hand with grace he steadied himself and took a deep breath. Marion held it for a moment, then whipped his hand forward letting the plane fly and following its path. Ken had already taken the syringe out of the kit and gently plunged the needle into Marion's forearm. Marion's eyes had been trained on to the plane; he hadn't seen it but felt the sudden prick and turned to Ken confused. Ken had already stashed the needle in his hand, out of sight. Marion made to speak but stopped a moment, his mouth hung open and he opened it and closed it slowly, as if he was teaching himself to speak.

"My, that was quite the plane you made! It sailed clear across the room."

Marion's head began to sag forward and Ken caught it, propping it up. He lowered Marion down so his back lay against the table.

"I love planes. I'm going to be a pilot," Marion said in a whisper, his mouth finally working.

Grabbing Marion's legs Ken pulled them up on the table and laid him flat.

"That's a lovely idea, Marion," Ken said. "You'll make a fine pilot I'm sure."

Marion no longer tried to move his mouth to speak. He laid there, his chest rising and falling at a quick but steady rate. His blue eyes stared up and watched nothing, blinking fast. A minute passed, maybe two before the breathing and blinking slowed. There were a few sudden moments of violent shaking as his body spazed. Then everything just stopped all together. Marion's body went limp.

Those blue eyes kept staring and Ken hesitated a moment. Even though he was unmoving, those eyes still looked alive somehow. They were such a strong blue. It was funny that Marion had mentioned them, and interesting when you thought about them. Indeed, if it wasn't for them, perhaps Marion in a bizarre way would still be with Randall now. Finally Ken placed a hand over the boy's face and drew the eyes closed. No use speculating. Leaving the door open Ken left promptly. He'd alert Gracie at the front on the way back to his office and she'd send in the crew to clean it up.