324- Chapter Five

Start from the beginning

"Nuh uh."

"Uh huh!"

"NO!" I roared.

"Fine..."

"Fine."

"How about now?"

"Is the world going to end in a few minutes?"

"Grrr..."

"Didn't think so."

"..."

"..."

"Can you tell me yet?"

"Has hell frozen over yet?" I questioned dryly.

"Gotcha..."

"Mhmm..."

"Now?"

"What do you call something that can shut its mouth?"

"What?"

"A sister that isn't incredibly annoying!"

"... That hurt," she told me, glaring slightly and putting a hand to her chest.

"Sure it did."

"Please?"

"No!" I stomped down the hall, leaving my new jacket on. I sustained the scowl until I got into my bedroom, then quickly turned around.

"Oh, and I have a boyfriend now!" I slammed it shut, and pressed my back to the door as fast as I could. A grin spread across my face, showing the non-stop giddiness that had been growing in me all night.

"Jackson!" Mable shrieked from the other room. I chuckled, which soon turned into a deep belly laugh. Despite the news of today, it ended rather well.

Not long after her hollering died down I felt a vibration against my leg. She had texted me, telling me to open my door. I just laughed, then set my ringer to play with every message she sent in her determination. Setting it by the door so she would most likely hear, I (amazingly) fell asleep to the ruckus.

It was about nine-thirty when I got home, and slept well for a few hours. My eyes slowly slid open, feeling like I had made it through the night undisturbed. My alarm clock told me the time was 3:28 with its omnious green glow.

I groaned. No way. "Come on..." I whispered to myself.

Flopping onto my other side, I closed my eyes tightly and tugged my blanket around me securely. I wasn't comfortable, and it was hot. I huffed, turned onto my back, and kicked my feet out from the heat. I began counting in my head and picturing sheep, anything to pull attention away from where it wanted to go naturally. Suddenly my feet were freezing and my entire body was much too cold. I struggled to return to the close shelter of my blanket. Only minutes passed. I'm boiling in the pits of hell!

The pattern continued until finally my mind started shutting down. My eyelids grew heavier, and James popped into my mind. I recalled my visit and meeting his mother. A couple times a nurse came in and checked on him. Either she realized she was intruding slightly or Sandy told her so, because she came less and less as the night wore on. Her name was Carrie. She was a short woman, not too young but by no means old, and though her hair was a few tones lighter than James's mother, she could have been her sister. Blue eyes, orange hair, short stature. Personally I adored her from the first time she flew into the room, flustered. I chuckled at her and how she kept wiping back strands of hair from her forehead that had escaped the loose, sloppy bun. She could have been the mother (the happy one) I never had. I would have loved to let her stay a bit longer, but wanted a little privacy nonetheless.

She had become all the more flustered when she went to grab his hand and saw mine was laying on top of it. I'd smiled lightly at her insanely flushed face and hoped for an accepting gaze in return. She just grinned wolfishly and gently pulled his wrist toward her to feel his pulse. The wolfishness seemed odd on a face like hers, but not unpleasant. I took it as a good sign.

All that time I hadn't seen Lewis, who James said had been in earlier and then went to see Sheri, his girlfriend.

Groaning, I rolled over. Why is it bed sores only seem to spring up when you've been laying AWAKE in bed for a long period of time?

Though my head was groggy and probably not very reliable, I was pretty sure I was curious to see him. Just wondering what he looked like, how he resembled James, and how he didn't. Maybe Lewis would have Sandy's smile, though his brother didn't. Maybe he would have her eyes, and not the shocking green of James's. I smiled to myself. Just the thought of him. I admitted to myself almost as soon as the words left my mouth that I was being quick and my feelings had barely developed, at least for me and dating, but I truly liked him, very much. His grin made me feel warm, the way he moved kept me enthralled. Watching James was just enough to keep me occupied.

This would be the moment Audrey calls me a creeper and laughs at my expense, the lovely best friend she claimed to be. To think of it, she'd be more crazed by me getting a decent boyfriend more than anything else. That made me groan again. I wasn't prepared for the call, which was only one reason I had held off until tomorrow. I could feel my ears bleeding already.

Huffing, I threw back the covers and sat up straight. Sleep was a no-go. I stood and slipped my feet into a pair of slippers (ones I'd had since two Christmases ago) and padded out of my bedroom. I furrowed my eyebrows when I heard hushed voices coming from down the hall. Then I saw something that made me want to laugh, but at the same time roll my eyes.

Mable stood at the glass door in the kitchen with her boyfriend Gregg half outside. With the angle of her face I could see how she bit her lip and batted her eyelashes innocently. Gregg Henry was surely a handsome boy, with bright blonde hair and shiny blue eyes. His face still held a bit of the roundness of a child, but I knew he was very mature. Gregg tapered at about two and a half inches taller than my sister, which she found just perfect. I could tell just by the looks he gave her that he was completely smitten. And Mable returned those feelings.

They'd be celebrating Mable's eighteenth birthday soon, and she'd gushed on and on about all the possible plans he could have made. Of course, he had told neither of us what he had up his sleeve which only left more speculation on our part. Okay, Mable's part. But I listened.

She blushed a deep scarelet when I stepped into the kitchen and made myself visible to them. The goofy smile dropped from Gregg's face, only to be replaced with an almost frustrated expresson. I hadn't meant to interupt any moments, but this couldn't happen.

"What would our parents think of you if they knew you were sneaking him in at night to do naughty things?" I spat in a sharp whisper.

"Who said anything about naughtiness?" she asked, aghast, blushing further.

"It's kind of obvious," I gave her a dull glare. "Couldn't you wait a little longer? God, you've only got a couple weeks until your little party thing."

"Says mister dating after three days!"

"What?" Gregg spoke up, thoroughly confused.

I felt the blood creep up to my own cheeks as I stood there solemnly, not about to reply to that jab. Finally she sighed, "Story for another day... I think you have to go now."

I could hear the anger in her voice.

"Kay babe, text you tomorrow," he kissed her forehead and she smiled warmly again, won over instantly.

When he'd gone and she clunked the lock back into place on the door, Mable looked at me threateningly. "We still need to talk about that."

Darting from the room as fast I could, still I couldn't escape her painted claws