Chapter 3: Theo

Chapter 3: Theo

I slip a hoodie over my head, grab my backpack, and head out the front door. I'm not exactly very excited to go to school because then I have to face Sam.

"Sam. Innocent, hurt Sam." I think to myself. I wrapped up my broken hand last night. It didn't hurt too bad, but the bruise is definitely going to catch someone's attention. Which, by the way, is what I don't want.

Today I'm going to break up with Vanessa and tell Sam the truth. I decided this last night after my little incident. I can't go on living like this; lies after lies.

-

As soon as I get to my locker, Vanessa kisses me. I try to pull away but I can't. She's locks her arms around my neck. That's when I see Vanessa has an evil smile on. She stares at someone behind me. I turn around to see who she's staring at.

A beautiful young woman struts through the door. A grin unzips across her face. Her hair falls past her shoulders. A small bow rests on the top of her head; it matches perfectly with her white lace shirt. I stare at her, Sam, trying to figure out why she changed the way she looks, not that I'm complaining. She scowls at me and I notice something else; she doesn't look right.

She slouches more than usual and behind her plastered smile is exhaustion. Her right hand trembles at her side.

She walks past us with an annoyed expression.

"Sam!" I yell.

I pull away from Vanessa and push past her. I hear her calling my name, but I ignore it.

"Find Sam. Find Sam. Find Sam." I repeat to myself.

I sprint behind her and grab her wrist. She spins around to face me with an irritated look on her face. I glance around to see if anyone is watching; we are in an abandoned hallway.

An apology begins to escape my lips, but she abruptly interrupts me.

"Forget it."

I feel like I just got slapped. I don't know what to say. After a few seconds I try again, "Please. Listen. I didn't--"

A look of shock and anger covers her face. She talks through clenched teeth, "What do you mean, you didn't mean to?"

I try to hold in my anger; how am I supposed to explain anything to her if she won't even listen to what I have to say? "That's not what I was going to say. Let me explain. You don't understand. Please--"

She raises her voice, "WHAT IS THERE TO EXPLAIN? You sent me a text that killed me on the inside. Do you know that? On top of everything I am going through, you killed me! If you really want me to go away then don't you worry, because soon enough your wishes will come true."

She takes a second to catch her breath and I realize something is wrong with her. She's more tired than usual. A bead of sweat slips down her forehead. After a second, she goes on, "You have no idea what every day of my life is like! Well let me tell you: It's a living hell."

A wave of terror and relief pass over me. Relief because I'm not alone. She is going through everything I am. Terror because she could die any minute, just like me. I glance down at her.

She looks weak. I cup my hand around her jaw as tears stream down her face. I push her chin up so she is making eye contact with me.

I feel my world swirl around me as I let out the secret that I swore I would never tell anyone. I am finally free.

I whisper into her ear, "I understand because I go through the same hell everyday. Not knowing if I am going to die or live."

Confusion spreads across her face. She begins to ask a question, but I stop her. I grab her and pull her into a tight hug. She cries into my hoodie and I feel a warm tear sneak down my cheek. I wrap my arms around her and burry my head in her hair.

--

At once her arms turn numb. She begins to collapse. I yell her name and try to catch her, but the movement was too sudden for me; cancer has kind of slowed down my reflexes. Her head hits the ground with resonant thud. She coughs out splatters of blood.

I'm too shocked to move. For a second, I just stand there. Then I kneel over her and reach for my phone. She looks up into my eyes as she grabs my wrist. I stare into her eyes. Her beautiful, dying eyes.

Bubbles of blood form from the corner of her mouth. She groans. A slight whisper escapes her dry lips, "Whatever you do, don't stop fighting."

I feel my heart break and I shake my head. I refuse to believe that she is dying. A tear drips down my cheek. She can't leave me now. Not yet. I'm not ready to live alone. I take a deep breath and dial 911.

Her pale blue eyes widen in alarm causing me to stop dialing for a second. She chokes out some more words, "It's no use. Please listen to me. Whatever you do, don't give up."

I feel frustrated; why doesn't she want to live? Does she want me to live the rest of my life without her? And why does she care so much about me surviving?

I place my hand under her chin and level her eyes with mine. I use my strongest voice as I shake my head and say, "I'm not just going to let you die."

I pull at the hem of my hoodie. Once it is off, I wrap it around Sam. She shivers, but her face regains some color. I look at her arm. Blood comes out of a large gash, in a plethora. I quickly slip my shirt off and wrap it around her arm. She smiles weakly and I blush. My shirt looses it's color immediately. Her blood soaks through the shirt and the hoodie. Stains cover the floor.

Her voice breaks as she says, "I am not going to make it anyway..."

The light begins to fade out of her eyes. I bend over her and press my lips to hers. A burst of energy rushes through me and for a second I have hope that she will survive. She tangles her fingers in my curls and I pull her closer. She sighs. I feel her smiling lips against mine and I laugh. I put my hand around the side of her face and I know what she is thinking because it is exactly what I am thinking; we never want this to end. Whether I knew It or not, I have always wanted to be with her. She stretches her arms and wrap them around my neck. I give her a light kiss on her cheek.

Her hands gently nudge me away. I lean over and whisper into her ear, "I was afraid of loving you. I was afraid of losing you. But now, I have nothing to fear. I love you, Sam."

I hear her drawing in a breath. She pulls me close to her; her head rests on my lap. I kiss her forehead.

Her eyes flutter and then close. I sob out, "No matter what, I will fight. Cancer is not going to kill me the way it did you. I promise, I will never give up."

I see the slightest hint of a smile on her face as she stops breathing.