Chapter 2: Sam

Chapter 2: Sam

Today, I had to go get an injection to suck out the excess white blood cells in my bone marrow. It hurt like crap because the needle was about the length of a worn out pencil. I complained as the nurse rubbed a number around on various places of my body. It was cold and gross feeling, but in a few seconds all the sensation was gone. I closed my eyes swearing under my breath as she pinched the needle into my skin.

I fought my way into a dream.

--

After about five minutes, I woke up. My heart skipped a beat; where was I?

I glanced around. My mother's dark hair draped her tired face. A light snore erupted from her mouth.

My teeth began to chatter and I was shivering; my blankets were thrown onto the floor. I tried to sit up, but a wave of nausea hit me. Pangs shot up my back where they had given me a shot.

My mom scrambled to her feet at the sound of my groan. Guilt filled me and I was about to cry; I didn't mean to wake her up. My mom's gentle hands cradled my head. I sobbed into her flowery blouse. I could feel her shoulders vibrate and I knew she was crying too. This didn't exactly help stop my tears but I didn't care. This was the first time my mom and I had been alone in several months.

On our way home, I didn't say a word except when she asked me if I was hungry. All I wanted to do right then was text Theo. I fought the urge to grab my phone and tell him everything. I knew better. He wouldn't understand; I was probably the least of his problems. He was popular and he didn't exactly seem to care what happened to me.

Once at school, a few weeks after I found out about my cancer, I tripped on my shoe lace. My nose had broken, with just one trip. I struggled to the restroom, but on my way I saw Vanessa and Theo holding hands.

Great, I thought to myself. My blood tinted my hands a bright red and I nearly passed out at the sight of it.

Vanessa was wearing a tan dress that revealed parts of her I hope I never see again. She smiled at Theo, revealing her perfect white teeth outlined with a bright red. Her dirty brown hair fell low at the small of her back. Her cheeks showed one perfect dimple.

She pointed at me and giggled, making my stomach twist. I glanced at Theo hoping that he would come to my rescue. Of course I was wrong.

Theo looked after her thin and perfectly manicured finger. His eyes met mine and I saw pity flash through them. I flared with anger, I didn't need him feeling bad for me.

Theo forced a laugh to please Vanessa.

She whispered something into his ear and before he could even react, began to strut toward me. I stood in place, afraid to take anymore steps.

She flipped her hair as she sneered at my bloody face, "Looks like someone's make up went a little wrong!"

I wiped my nose against my sleeve, leaving a trail of red behind on it.

She continued, "Look, you are never going to get Theo, so why don't you just back the hell off."

I felt like screaming.

I had pushed past her to the bathroom. As soon as I got in, I locked it. I dropped my books and slid to the ground. I felt pain shoot up my spine and I yelped.

I cried and didn't come out until school was over.

The bathroom was a mess when I left; shards of mirror sprinkled the floor. My nose was bruised for over a month.

--

At 10:30 pm I feel my phone vibrate. I jump up and switch it on, hoping for a text from Theo. I get exactly what I wish for. The words, "Hey, I gotta tell you something..." filled up the 5 inch screen.

I try not to jump up and down because the doctor had said no physical activity for a month. My chest swells with hope. Maybe he does care for me.

Shortly after he sent that he sends another message, "Please don't text me again. My girlfriend is getting mad and I just don't have time. I'm sorry."

I feel my heart burn. A sharp pain rips through my skull and I realize that I am pulling my hair. A tear sneaks down my cheek. I now understand why I want to die.

Cancer isn't my worst enemy, life is.

-